Astrophotography in Desaru

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
perchloratepenguin
Favourite scope: Celestron 127slt

Astrophotography in Desaru

Post by perchloratepenguin »

Hi all,

I will be heading to Desaru around late May or early June. I am willing to travel a bit (15-20km) to get the best skies around the area, even though I know it is still pretty bright. I will be bringing along a Celestron 127slt.

What dark spots are around the area, and will the milky way be visible with the naked eye during that time? Also, what interesting celestial objects (Nebula, star custers etc) can be seen around that time?

Thanks in advance.
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Re: Astrophotography in Desaru

Post by hhzhang »

I hope to go along if the weather permits. I am looking for a site with an unobstructed view 360 or as much as possible. The primary place of interest is Desaru Long Jetty looks interesting. The site might suffer from a bit of light pollution from the south or southwest ? But the landscape/seascape + structures may help with landscape astrophotography. Anyone shot astrophotos there before?

Otherwise, this Sedili site, ~30KM north of Desaru looks promising though I have never been there: https://goo.gl/maps/2WVhKVspYsdiedSHA
perchloratepenguin
Favourite scope: Celestron 127slt

Re: Astrophotography in Desaru

Post by perchloratepenguin »

Oh I see. I am only going to Desaru as it is a family trip, if not Mersing might be much better.

I did some research on the Sedili site, TASOS seems to have organised quite a few trips there to stargaze before.

Some older posts from Singastro also seem to include this site, and the photos are pretty good. However, these post are almost 10 years old.

viewtopic.php?t=11031
viewtopic.php?t=12010