Plan an astrophotography road trip into Malaysia?

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Plan an astrophotography road trip into Malaysia?

Post by hhzhang »

The border is re-opening! In other words, the dark skies are calling!

I am now thinking about driving across the causeway to explore the dark skies along the east coast of the Malaysian peninsula. Have used Google street maps to pick a few potential locations looking condusive.

Got a couple of Qs.

1. I saw someone posted a picture of an astrophotography site in the Mersing region where there were a few permanent piers. 1a-- where is it and how one can reserve the facility? 2b-- what are the specifications of the piers ( I need to see if possible to mount my gear on it)?

2. Is anyone planning a similar trip so perhaps we can go along?
leslie128
Favourite scope: FRA600

Re: Plan an astrophotography road trip into Malaysia?

Post by leslie128 »

Hi hhzhang

I am interested but have no idea where is the piers that you mentioned. I have been to Mersing for milky way but not deep sky.

BTW, I understand that the max size photo that I can upload to Astrophotography is 3MB. However, I couldn't, even upload 1MB. I have written to admin but received not reply. Do you know why? Thx.

I understand Remus used to organize astro trip to Teluk Sari Resort in Mersing. Booking information could be found in Web.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

leslie128 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:51 pm Hi hhzhang

I am interested but have no idea where is the piers that you mentioned. I have been to Mersing for milky way but not deep sky.

BTW, I understand that the max size photo that I can upload to Astrophotography is 3MB. However, I couldn't, even upload 1MB. I have written to admin but received not reply. Do you know why? Thx.

I understand Remus used to organize astro trip to Teluk Sari Resort in Mersing. Booking information could be found in Web.
I do not use the upload function of the forum. Instead, I always choose to embed my shared Google photos.

Thanks for the resort info.
leslie128

Post by leslie128 »

Not sure whether you are referring to Sungai Rengit Secret Attraction Punch, 四湾岛旧码头?

https://goo.gl/maps/7QKZ3UnE19x2zm7A9
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

leslie128 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:44 am Not sure whether you are referring to Sungai Rengit Secret Attraction Punch, 四湾岛旧码头?

https://goo.gl/maps/7QKZ3UnE19x2zm7A9
Guess the whole Pengerang sky suffers badly from the developed industry -- largest refinery/petrochemical?
leslie128

Post by leslie128 »

Yes. go there for seafood only.
For DSO, Tanjung Sedili, Mersing, Air Papan & Rompin are better options for East Coast.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Just an update. Considering my family's needs, we will not go as far north as Mersing or Sedili. I will spend two nights at Desaru instead (Apr 30-May 1 and May 1-May 2). Bring only lightweight (astro-)photography kit for nightscapes.

There will be a few very interesting celestial events to capture. The Mercury-Plaides meet (nearly transit) against the backdrop of gorgeous winter constellations setting over the western horizon. The thin-crescent-moon & 4 plants aligned in the pre-dawn eastern sky --- when the milky way goes vertical to the south horizon.

Will the weather cooperate? Fingers crossed.