My astrophotography 2022

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Re: My astrophotography 2022

Post by hhzhang »

I finally got this shot -- too many people have done similar, cheap, and childish things so please bear with me. Aha

These are composite images -- using the same camera, same lens, and same position. Added foreground lighting and stacked background star field subs and merged with the foreground.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

I attempted at the false comet nebula again. Well I did not expect much from the poor NEX5R camera (astro-mod). So this served to validate, again, it is truly astromodified. :)

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

I went up to Mersing twice, one last weekend and one last night.

Did not get clear skies last week. It was a crazy night seeing me going to Mersing and exploring the Mawar region, and after midnight went further north to ulu ulu country side past Rompin (traveled a lot of dirt roads). And I got back home sweet home in Singapore before dawn.

And I decided to go again last afternoon -- my last opportunity for shooting milky way until later this month.

Practiced landscape astrophotography. Quite enjoyed the process and pleased with the outcomes. Guess they are really worth the trip.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

The 1st quarter moon was super bright and washed out the stars. I used an video LED light to light-paint the rocks.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Finally I got the shot. Winter hexagon, Venus, Mars and ... Zodiac light a bit vague though.

I used two LED lights to illuminate the two trees, the car, and myself.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Playing with deep scape.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

The original sky image -- Mars approaching the zodiac gate.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Finally, I got a wide field view of M31-M33.

Close-up shows that 50mm focal length also lends a little bit of details of M31 (M33).

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

2022-Aug-15

Testing new camera. And captured C/2027 K2.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Just back from a trip to Sumba, Indonesia. Bortle 1 skies OMG!

But no much opportunity for deep sky stuff. Instead, I could shoot some landscape astro under twilights. Thanks to the dark and clear skies, my single exposures could still capture the amazing views of subjects of interest.

1) Finally I had a proper shot of the two Magellanic clouds. Single 2min exposure.

2) The two Magellanic clouds and the milkyway section not too far away.

3) I made some mistakes. Anyway, here you can see the dimmer MK Way section interects with the Zodiac light.

4) Clouds! But they actually added some dramatic elements to the scene. Feels like a dreamy image. Single 30sec exposure, ISO3200, F2.8 -- yet the ground is still pitch black in the image!

5) Dancing trees, stars and twilight.

6) Winter hexagon shimmering in twilight glow above the dancing trees.