Southern DSO Astrophotography

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Re: Southern DSO Astrophotography

Post by rifleman175 »

SHO image of the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula

hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Post by hhzhang »

rifleman175 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:02 pm SHO image of the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula

Awesome!
rifleman175

Post by rifleman175 »

Digging into the data collected over the past few months, I stumbled upon this gem of an emission nebula in Carina. And no, it is not the Carina Nebula.

Well, from the picture below you would have seen that it is instead the Statue of Liberty Nebula (NGC3576), together with 2 other prominent HII regions in the same field of view. This part of the Milky Way is busy indeed! :mryellow:

The image above is captured with a new set of Antlia 3nm narrowband filters I had just acquired, and despite being only 7h worth of integration time, it is showing fantastic details in the dusty lanes and Bok's globules in the emission nebula.

Enjoy!
Last edited by rifleman175 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rifleman175

Post by rifleman175 »

hhzhang wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:03 pm
rifleman175 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:02 pm SHO image of the Lagoon Nebula and the Trifid Nebula

Awesome!
Thanks for the encouragement! Your images are awesome too!
rifleman175

Post by rifleman175 »

The War and Peace Nebula (NGC 6357) in Scorpius

Despite my best attempts, the image is still showing a green tint due to the overwhelming H-alpha signal. However, I thought this actually looks pretty good with the main highlights of the emission nebula in yellow and blue, the colours of golden wheat fields and clear cloudless skies!

Enjoy~
rifleman175

Post by rifleman175 »

After a year of hiatus, I'm back again to showcase more goodies that I managed to capture in the Southern Milky Way!

The Prawn Nebula (IC4628) is an emission nebula in the constellation Scorpius, taken with my trusty 3nm Antlia SHO narrowband filters. Post-processing is done in PixInsight, with the use of BlurXterminator making a big difference in resolving the fine details in the nebula. AI tools are really the way to go!

Enjoy!
rifleman175

Post by rifleman175 »

This is a 3x2 panel mosaic of the Carina Nebula, processed with SHO Hubble Palette for the nebulosity, overlaid with spectrophotometrically-corrected RGB stars! Feel free to marvel at this cosmic gem that we are lucky enough to have gracing our night skies.

The data collection was done over almost 2 months consisting of exposure time of roughly 18h per panel, and I am sincerely grateful for the clear nights that I had, even though the Moon is up on quite many nights disrupting my imaging session. The image is captured with my trusty Esprit 100ED and ASI2600MM Pro, shot through 3nm Antlia SHO filters and V-series RGB filters. Image processing is done in PixInsight with heavy use of the wonder AI processing tools developed by Russell Croman, with the latest BlurXterminator really being a game-changer for easy one click deconvolution, enabling much more details to be revealed in the final image.

Enjoy!
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Post by hhzhang »

WOW! This is APOD caliber! This is the best image I have seen which decently depicts the 3D structure of the giant cosmo complex.

Congrats!
rifleman175

Post by rifleman175 »

hhzhang wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:55 pm WOW! This is APOD caliber! This is the best image I have seen which decently depicts the 3D structure of the giant cosmo complex.

Congrats!
Thanks mate! Now I just plucked up enough courage to send this image for APOD nomination. :mryellow: