Darker places in Singapore?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
DCWZ

Darker places in Singapore?

Post by DCWZ »

As we all know, the rising of Sagittarius in the morning signifies Milky Way season is almost here! I would just like to know what places you guys recommend in Singapore that are comparatively darker for some Milky Way imaging and telescope observing? Preferably in the East, but feel free to suggest really good places in the West too! Thanks!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Darker places in Singapore?

Post by Airconvent »

After the intensive build up by HDB for the past few years, many of the open fields have disappeared, especially in Sengkang.. ECP would be a good place to start. There are a few relatively dark places surrounded by trees to block the light. Check out the East Coast event organised by Remus for details on the places..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Just FYI, ECP is not dark enough. 2 to 3 rows of ships parked in the sea have their lights on at night. Normal observing of stars and planets and the easier DSOs are ok but the Milky way band is impossible, dont waste time. Easier to just go for a mersing trip =)

regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
DCWZ

Post by DCWZ »

antares2063 wrote:Just FYI, ECP is not dark enough. 2 to 3 rows of ships parked in the sea have their lights on at night. Normal observing of stars and planets and the easier DSOs are ok but the Milky way band is impossible, dont waste time. Easier to just go for a mersing trip =)

regards
Junwei
I understand that Singapore is too bright to visually observe the Milky Way, therefore I would only like to do imaging and perhaps observe some DSOs through telescope. Just for these expectations, is it possible to recommend some better places?
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

PM'ed you :)
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
DCWZ

Post by DCWZ »

Anyone been overnight to Pulau Ubin before? How is the sky there? I assume it would bbe much better than mainland SG...
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

Instead of Pulau Ubin, ever thought of St Johns or Pulau Hantu?

Not sure if they still allow overnight
taikiat
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Post by taikiat »

Bumping this! went to 1.400259,103.880035 last night at saw some dogs despite it being a prime spot for some imaging so thats a goner. was hoping if the folks here are aware of any new spots?
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

Has anyone tried st John /Lazarus island? One can camp for free or go for the Tiny away option.

https://dollarsandsense.sg/dollarsandse ... -outdoors/
byang

Post by byang »

neoterryjoe wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:50 am Has anyone tried st John /Lazarus island? One can camp for free or go for the Tiny away option.

https://dollarsandsense.sg/dollarsandse ... -outdoors/
If you want better comfort than camping but don't want to spend so much money on the container house at Tiny Away, you may consider booking the lodges from Singapore Land Authority instead. And to answer your question, I have not stayed/observed at these islands before and also hope that others could share their experience.