Self made modular system

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
superiorstream

Re: Self made modular system

Post by superiorstream »

Hi
Even though project had ended, concept and equipments acquired turn out useful today.
Because of old age, I want to convert my double stacked Ha scope.... 80mm f10 or f11..... Bulky and heavy., to use a zwo 60/280,but realise that it won't come to focus.
Thus I remount the lens and use 58mm tubes to reform a shorter tube. It works like a charm afterwards.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

And today successfully get the arrangements of a double stack using a lunt 35mm and a colorado 40mm connected together to get a double stack. It works nicely., with that 60/280.... 60mm refractor. Quite short and can see all those features, verified by comparing with a established double stack. Another use of this modular system.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

And my lunt scope turn into a solar scope with a colorado solarmax 40. It works very well.
Thus by rearranging , I got a more sensitive double stack.
Special thanks to all who had sold me solar scopes and those adapter rings and zwo scopes.
Modular systems really create more possibilities.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi All
And how about having a set of adapter rings so that this CAMERA THREAD MODULAR SYSTEM can be integrated into say the borg tube or the takahashi 56mm system.
Any suggestions?
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi All
Here is part of the reply. Perhaps there may be a better one. Take for example the borg 57mm used by borg.
The key is to get a say 57mm to 58mm
Or 57mm to 52mm
There must be available 57mm male to 52mm female
And 57mm female to 52mm male.
Then you can use 52mm tube of various length to form your telescope tube.
Of course one big problem is the availability of such tube.
Take for example takahashi 56mm.l can't find any adapter ring linking it to say 52mm or 55mm.
That's why the key is to know a machinist who can do the adapter rings for you and AT A REASONABLE PRICE.
Such is difficult in spore. Take for example,it takes just
One Al block to modify the carlton mount.....but that cost $ 100+. So cost is a major consideration.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Also one of the biggest advantages of this modular system is it enable lot of self modified scopes to be stored in plastic air tight boxes and keep dry easily by just silica gel. With camera thread up to 105mm and various camera adapter rings available, many 100mm scopes can be converted and hence stored and also easily transported in this way including of course the borg 102ed and the 100mm bino converted monocular . Light and easily stored and transported.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi All
Many people had ask about the availability of the various rings/adapter rings/tubes etc.As a matter of facts, most of these were my self lifetime collection spanning from since 14 to now 70 yrs old from flee market like sungei road and kreta ayer which no more existed.
However no worries now.
A good source is ALIEXPRESS. Even metal tubes with threaded ends of camera thread 46/49/......to 72/77/82 are available, plus the various adapters rings in the old camera thread of 28mm ......37mm.......43mm.......46mm....etc.
Hence happy making your own ⁰modular system'.