iOptron HAE 29 Strain Wave Gear Mount

Bought a new toy? How about writing a review for it? Post it here!
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Re: iOptron HAE 29 Strain Wave Gear Mount

Post by yltansg »

Update on 29 Dec 22:

a. Cannot use 1st Generation ASIAIR on the HAE29 - firmware does not support it. Will test it will ASIAIR Plus later
b. Updated the comparison table to include both HAE and HEM mounts:

Both AM5 and HAE29 mounts are designed to carry up to 20kg (44lbs) payload!!, with counterweight. Currently iOptron is working on a counterweight for near-equator users.

I will be adding to this review as I learn more about the mount.
Warp7

Post by Warp7 »

Their HAZ31 mount is very attractive, since I do mostly visual astronomy. It will be perfect for my use, without burning a hole in my wallet.

Just curious on the actual shipping fee you paid, Alfred, if you don't mind sharing. IOptron is quoting around $500 USD 😅. I've shipped a 13 kg equipment to China via FedEx recently for much less than that.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Warp7 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:13 am Their HAZ31 mount is very attractive, since I do mostly visual astronomy. It will be perfect for my use, without burning a hole in my wallet.

Just curious on the actual shipping fee you paid, Alfred, if you don't mind sharing. IOptron is quoting around $500 USD 😅. I've shipped a 13 kg equipment to China via FedEx recently for much less than that.
Hi Warp7,

$500 USD does not sound right. I paid $130 USD for shipping the HAE from China. Is the HAZ31 a huge item?

Alfred
Warp7

Post by Warp7 »

Hi Alfred.

It weights only around 3 kg. I used their online calculator, probably not accurate. It's good to know the actual shipping fee is more reasonable. Thanks 🙏
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Warp7 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:41 pm Hi Alfred.

It weights only around 3 kg. I used their online calculator, probably not accurate. It's good to know the actual shipping fee is more reasonable. Thanks 🙏
Oh, I see. It is good to check with the support staff. I have good timely advice from John (tech1@ioptron.com).

All the best.

Alfred
angrylawyer
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 80

Post by angrylawyer »

The ioptron support staff are based in the US. So their shipping quotes are from the US store, and not the China store.

Thanks for the nice summary table above. I am waiting for the HAE43 to appear in Asian shops.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

angrylawyer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:45 am The ioptron support staff are based in the US. So their shipping quotes are from the US store, and not the China store.

Thanks for the nice summary table above. I am waiting for the HAE43 to appear in Asian shops.
Hi Lawyer,

You are right that the iOptron Tech Support are based in the US. Over the last many years, I have arranged with John (tech1@ioptron.com) to have items shipped from China. Yes, it definitely reduce shipping cost and time of delivery :)

Alfred