Experience in purchasing ota or binoculars from taobao

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Experience in purchasing ota or binoculars from taobao

Post by akdwivedi »

Hi

I was looking at some ota, binoculars and found some nice sky rover brands on aliexpress and taobao.

Has anyone purchased these items from these platforms and how's the experience. Are these shipped in proper packaging and do these folks accept returns if item is damaged.

Thanks
Andy
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Experience in purchasing ota or binoculars from taobao

Post by Hardwarezone »

Packaging is the same cardboard (or dual layer cardboard for celes and SWatcher) with styrofoam inside , their distributor was proud to tell me (2014) that this packaging without external reinforcement can survive truck delivery up their mountainous western regions for the 8" SCT front glass. I'm not convinced though.
They don't automatic differentiate ohh this is going to Singapore and give u extra treatment.
Most of the sellers are friendly and you can use the chat function (get a friend to type Chinese text) to request double or triple layer padding (small items like bino) for minimal additional cost.

For other "professional buyers" whom sea-ship home furniture (sofa sized) via Taobao , they can request additional wooden skeleton frame protection , low additional cost. I don't think telescope shop do this extra service.

Repair (not refund) are treated as if you are living in China , you have to foot the expensive shipping back to China and the risk involved of having no "escrow". Money and Item are both concurrently at their side while in a dispute state in their interest.

When I explained this situation as a foreigner to SW brand southern china distributor , she replied to me along the lines of "get out" , mistaken me as a buying agent and not the end customer.

They are very sensitive to the topic of refund. Don't count on it.
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Re: Experience in purchasing ota or binoculars from taobao

Post by akdwivedi »

thanks. I did get some stuff of aliexpress and just one item from taobao, but they din involve optical elements. the transactions were smooth though and the taobao customer service message me a couple of times to check if I had received the item. But they were anodized aluminium items with no risk of damage during shipping.