AsiAir Alternative: Mini Windows PC

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Meng Lee

AsiAir Alternative: Mini Windows PC

Post by Meng Lee »

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried this AsiAir alternative?;

https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/astrop ... n-8-128-gb

I only saw this youtube video review:
https://youtu.be/uFJr1wDaLhQ

Meng Lee
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Re: AsiAir Alternative: Mini Windows PC

Post by rifleman175 »

I haven't used this exact mini PC, but I am currently using Mele Quieter 2Q on my regular astrophotography set-up. The control is via Windows Remote Desktop. You may refer to YouTube videos from PatriotAstro on how to set up.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

rifleman175 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:17 am I haven't used this exact mini PC, but I am currently using Mele Quieter 2Q on my regular astrophotography set-up. The control is via Windows Remote Desktop. You may refer to YouTube videos from PatriotAstro on how to set up.
How is the lag when using Mele Quieter 2Q and Windows Remote Desktop?

This miniPC from Astro Gadget uses the CPU in Mele Quieter 3Q and has four 12V outlets. This is tempting now.
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Post by rifleman175 »

Meng Lee wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:22 am
rifleman175 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:17 am I haven't used this exact mini PC, but I am currently using Mele Quieter 2Q on my regular astrophotography set-up. The control is via Windows Remote Desktop. You may refer to YouTube videos from PatriotAstro on how to set up.
How is the lag when using Mele Quieter 2Q and Windows Remote Desktop?

This miniPC from Astro Gadget uses the CPU in Mele Quieter 3Q and has four 12V outlets. This is tempting now.
I haven't noticed any significant lag when using the Mele Quieter 2Q, but of course the 3Q is a slight upgrade in CPU capabilities. For power supply, I'm using the Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox to supply power to my mini PC and the other gears.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Thanks for your reply. It is good to know that Windows Remote Desktop has no significant lag.
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

This is interesting. So far, the Mele Quieter series has been popular, and it opens up greater flexibility to a wide range of astro softwares that could be used. I would think having at least 3 USB 3.1 ports + 1 USB-C (for the Mele Quieter 3Q) OR 4 USB ports (for the earlier Mele Quieter 3C), is attractive. Form factor is also slimmer and less clunky than other prevailing brands (at time of writing). If Microsoft Remote Desktop is used, one can consider changing the Display>Colour Quality to Medium (16bit) instead of High (32bit), and a few other tweaks in settings to ensure robust remote connection quality. Can also consider using other remote desktop software. Depending on your imaging usage, beefing up to 16GB RAM may be better, especially for planetary work. It is interesting that Astro-Gadget's AstroPC Pro is based on 3Q, but in a bigger form factor with the power outlets (no need for a separate power box), but was also thinking it should be running W11 already (seems W10 based on its current specs). Whether there is lag or not, may also be dependent on the router that is being used, and how soon the remote connection is established from the miniPC entity right after the router is active.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Post by akdwivedi »

This is interesting. I used a standard raspberry li4 for stellarmate but always wished if it would have more power ports. This mini pc not only has USB ports but also has power out ports which is handy for building a portable rig.