Skywatcher EQ-AL55 Mount

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
PlaceboOutSight

Skywatcher EQ-AL55 Mount

Post by PlaceboOutSight »

Hi!

Im looking at getting the EQ-AL55 mount since its an EQ mount designed for use at the equator but cant find much information on it. Web searches turn up stores with it out of stock or those from non-english speaking countries.

Does anyone have advice on how easy it will be to mod it in the future (such as DIY motorising it for tracking), or otherwise have opinions on it?

Thanks!
frwaf bfds

Re: Skywatcher EQ-AL55 Mount

Post by frwaf bfds »

I don't know much about that mount in particular but have some suggestions.
It is not that hard to use an EQ mount at the equator (e.g. half-pier) so I'm not sure it's a feature really worth paying extra for. If you're looking to mod it purely to save money it's probably more cost-effective to buy a used mount instead. Of course, DIY can be fun in itself and in that case go for it.
Jim McGill
Vendor

Post by Jim McGill »

Hello TS,

Happened to read this thread. :)

We still have the EQ-AL55 mount in stock. It is meant for visual use with heavy telescopes. Currently we do not know if Sky-Watcher will offer a GOTO upgrade for it.

You may check out the details at our website:
https://mcgill.com.sg/product/sky-watch ... dual-mode/
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Post by akdwivedi »

I agree with frqaf_bfds, now most mount manufacturers provide a low altitude option. Ioptron has number of mounts that can be used at equator. Likewise most of the newer strain wave mounts like zwo also support low latitude ooerations
Jim McGill
Vendor

Post by Jim McGill »

akdwivedi wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:48 pm I agree with frqaf_bfds, now most mount manufacturers provide a low altitude option. Ioptron has number of mounts that can be used at equator. Likewise most of the newer strain wave mounts like zwo also support low latitude ooerations
Ioptron has been quite resistant to provide zero latitude options for some of the latest mobile mounts such as the HEM15. It continues to baffle us as to why they call HEM15 mount a portable travel mount but cannot be used in equatorial region, unless modified by the user.

Yes, low attitude options for various mounts are easily available nowadays. As for us, we provide custom half piers at less than SGD$200 for most models. :)
prashnerd
Favourite scope: iOptron RC6

Post by prashnerd »

I own this mount. I bought it from McGill back in March 2023 and when I bought it the listing said that a computerized/GOTO upgrade is available but when I inquired about it today they told me that such an option is not supported by Skywatcher and they edited their listing to remove the claim.

I'm kind of bummed because I thought there was an upgrade path available but I'm now wondering what I'll have to do to get this setup working or if I should just cut my losses and get a different mount head or mount entirely. Not a great situation, to be honest.

They did share a link to this DIY option and I found something else "off the shelf" on an overseas web store that may or may not be compatible but I'm a little stuck right now. If tracking is high on your priority list I would give this one a miss - though this could change in the future if Skywatcher or another third party releases an upgrade kit.
Jim McGill
Vendor

Post by Jim McGill »

prashnerd wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:54 pm I own this mount. I bought it from McGill back in March 2023 and when I bought it the listing said that a computerized/GOTO upgrade is available but when I inquired about it today they told me that such an option is not supported by Skywatcher and they edited their listing to remove the claim.
Hi All,

We would like to make a 1-time clarification on the above statement made by this customer.

The original statement on the GOTO upgrade mentioned in the listing is as below:
The EQ-AL55 may also be upgraded to a fully computerized or GOTO mount at extra cost.

We are sorry to hear that it was interpreted by the customer that a GOTO upgrade is definitely available.

There was also no prior correspondence with him or any enquiry/clarification made before the purchase of the mount.

We wish him all the best in his continuous pursuit of this hobby, cheers!