More Southern wonders - M17 in H-alpha

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
tanguan2001

More Southern wonders - M17 in H-alpha

Post by tanguan2001 »

Only clear night for the past 2 weeks - great transparency, so got some images - first one of the Omega Nebula.

TG
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Excellent image!!! You are really good at this. :goodjob: :goodjob:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

As usual, nice image!
I'm trying to make out the swan. Is it upside down and facing 2 o'clock?
Probably that's all we can see visually. BTW, is that dark patch on the right a cloud of dust?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
tanguan2001

Post by tanguan2001 »

Thanks, Rich and Weixing, yes the swan's base is at 11 o'clock. Also, very well spotted, Rich, the black bit at the neck of the swan is a dark cloud. I was adjusting levels on the image when I noticed that in that area the light levels were lower than anywhere else on the image - even to the edges of the image. Checking out much deeper images of the swan showed this to be the case. So, on this image the nebulosity extends almost everywhere, but there is this deep black cloud in this location.

BTW, just finished another image from the same clear night - the Eagle nebula;

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan/Eagle_Ha_dslr.htm

Not as long an exposure - object passing culmination, and had dew problems, so a bit more noisy.

TG
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

tanguan2001 wrote:Thanks, Rich and Weixing, yes the swan's base is at 11 o'clock. Also, very well spotted, Rich, the black bit at the neck of the swan is a dark cloud. I was adjusting levels on the image when I noticed that in that area the light levels were lower than anywhere else on the image - even to the edges of the image. Checking out much deeper images of the swan showed this to be the case. So, on this image the nebulosity extends almost everywhere, but there is this deep black cloud in this location.

BTW, just finished another image from the same clear night - the Eagle nebula;

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan/Eagle_Ha_dslr.htm

Not as long an exposure - object passing culmination, and had dew problems, so a bit more noisy.

TG
another nice image! you captured the famous hubble "pillars of creation" too but I prefer to call it "Buddha's Palm" after the recent TV series ...heh heh
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets