$12 Backyard Astronomy at Borders

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
chrisyeo

$12 Backyard Astronomy at Borders

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi everyone,

Another book to recommend that I just saw last week selling at borders in their bargain bin..

This one comes even more recommended than the last one because of its one excellent section: its starhopping guide. I basically started learning about the night sky from a photostated version of the starhopping guide.

This book is actually a companion to the first book and was published previously as 'advanced skywatching'. I really don't think you will regret owning a copy at this price..

Clear skies,
Chris

p.s. Borders should really pay me for marketing..

"Editorial Reviews

From School Library Journal
Intended as a companion to David Levy's Skywatching (Time-Life, 1995), this volume contains a wealth of material that will be of interest to dedicated amateur astronomers and effectively stands on its own. Apt quotations from literature sprinkled about the pages are a nice bonus. As in so many nonfiction titles these days, most topics are treated on two-page spreads. However, captions are brief and sidebars used carefully, resulting in a clean, uncluttered format. Introductory chapters discuss the various types of equipment that may be used for conducting skywatching projects. While many of the items will be beyond the financial means of most students, the authors stress that much can be done with just a good pair of binoculars and careful record keeping. Additional chapters provide information on the various observable phenomena, with an emphasis on what to look for and how to get the best views possible. The last third of the book consists of 20 "telescope tours" through various regions of the sky. Each area is presented first via star maps, with constellations noted in simplified insets, then with photographs of some of the more interesting features to be found in that region. The extensive bibliography includes videos, Web sites, software, and a list of organizations. Report writers are not the primary audience for this book although information can be extracted for that use. However, anyone with a serious interest in astronomy will benefit from the instructions and advice it provides.?Elaine Fort Weischedel, Turner Free Library, Randolph, MA
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc. "
Attachments
0737000961.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0737000961.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
jermng

Post by jermng »

Wow! HAHA .. I stood at the clearance area for 45mins contemplating which one to buy!! =) They both look very similar at first glance .. in the end I bought Skywatching .. which I sort of regret now .. I think in the field the star hopping guide will be very much more useful .. =)
I guess it's a trip down to Borders tomorrow .. =)

Jeremy
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I was there 1-2 weeks back and saw the whole lot. In the end, I felt it did not differ that much from my Stars and Planets (which I bought for around $26 but strangely, it is being sold for around $40 these days!).
I did buy the Philips Constellation Star Chart. Don't know what use it could do but it will look great on your wall...and the price of under $10 is too tempting!
I think the book that Mooey showed me at Mersing (Discover the Stars, I think) has a better general star chart for beginners..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
jermng

Post by jermng »

Hey, where did you see the Phillips Star Chart? Didn't see it .. was it near the clearance books?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

It was at the "special offer" table near the magazine area. Further in. They have a thick stack of it and I don't think they are selling that fast. You should be able to get it if you pop by again end of the week. Only for Northern constellations.

This one is probably an older editon as the latest one on amazon is more colourful :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

The one I bought is all blue with the words "Stargazer" in big letters.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi,

Do note that the starhopping guide is not a full fledged star chart. It only covers about half the sky in 20 segments. What is good though is that it give a sky tour of that region, automatically making it a good beginners's learning guide. After you have used 'backyard astronomy' you will still want to get a proper book of star maps.

Cheers,
Chris