Renting out Astro Equipment

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Renting out Astro Equipment

Post by Airconvent »

Some months ago, there was talk of buying a few Meade gotos and renting them out to people. Seems like Jim has put it into practice. I wonder what scope he is offering and if the prices are attractive..
Are any of the other vendor considering this as well.....mmmi...imaging renting out a TMB apo or Intes Micro ..heh heh

I'm hoping the rental fever will spread to an N8 or LX90!

rich :lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kayheem

Re: Renting out Astro Equipment

Post by kayheem »

Airconvent wrote:Some months ago, there was talk of buying a few Meade gotos and renting them out to people. Seems like Jim has put it into practice. I wonder what scope he is offering and if the prices are attractive..
Are any of the other vendor considering this as well.....mmmi...imaging renting out a TMB apo or Intes Micro ..heh heh

Renting scopes is a risky business unless it is being rented out to experienced observers. I would not want to rent out a TMB apo (if I had one!) to someone who is going to treat it like a Tasco refractor, if you know what I mean.

Even amongst experienced guys, accidents do happen, you know!

Kay Heem
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

You can view our rental rate under Vendor - Meade Scope Rental
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Renting out Astro Equipment

Post by Airconvent »

kayheem wrote:
Airconvent wrote:Some months ago, there was talk of buying a few Meade gotos and renting them out to people. Seems like Jim has put it into practice. I wonder what scope he is offering and if the prices are attractive..

Renting scopes is a risky business unless it is being rented out to experienced observers. I would not want to rent out a TMB apo (if I had one!) to someone who is going to treat it like a Tasco refractor, if you know what I mean.

Even amongst experienced guys, accidents do happen, you know!

Kay Heem
Hi Kay Heem,
I was just pulling Sam's legs. If he has a TMB apo now, he would sleep with it but will NEVER rent it out .
I'm just thinking aloud that if the price is right, there probably be people who wants to try out for astronomy and look at Mars but does not want to spend the $400-$900 on a brand new scope. For the TMB Apo, I think $400 is the hourly rate!
:lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets