For sale: Quality alt-azimuth mount and accessories.

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
denebman

For sale: Quality alt-azimuth mount and accessories.

Post by denebman »

The idea of developing an alt-azimuth mount is because every astronomical telescope, no matter what size it is, has the need of a quick set up mount that is ready for use with minimum preparation. Whichever level you are as an amateur astronomer, an alt-azimuth mount is always handy.
The key point of a good alt-azimuth mount is that the center of weight (CW) of the moving parts (telescope OTA + finder + scope holder) always stays static no matter which direction the telescope OTA is pointing at. To realize it, the CW is always put in line with the altitude axis (or its imaginary extension) of the mount. This design makes it possible that a slight touch redirects the pointing direction of a heavy optical system. On market there are quite a few alt-azimuth mount available, examples include Teleoptic Giro, Stellarvue stable glide, AOK giro, Televue Telepod/Gibraltar, Diskmount, Unistar mount and Takahashi Teegul etc. (this is not a complete list). In general, some design with an off-center altitude axis like Televue Gibraltar mount eliminates the use of any counterweight; some design like Teleoptic Giro has two mounting arms and still needs counterweight for heavy scopes, but when it comes to rigidity, nothing else beats this design. After consulting with many amateurs who own and use the Giro, Gibraltar and Diskmount through my network, and more importantly from the opinion of a Gibraltar mount user who later became my contractor, I decided to choose the later design concept to start with.

Before releasing the alt-azimuth “Astroslew” mount, I asked my contractor to make four prototypes (Fortunately all four prototypes found their buyers). And now, after some delay, the “Astroslew” mount is in stock and ready for delivery. The alt-azimuth “Astroslew” mount is really professionally made and well executes my designing goal, I decided to keep one for personal use and to demonstrate to future buyers.

Now come to the specifications of my“Astroslew” alt-azimuth mount, it has two deep groove ball bearings for altitude slew and another two for azimuth slew, the friction control is achieved by applying pressure through a "C" shape clamp lined with a thick Teflon insert, then the clamp shrinks to add friction on alt/azimuth axis. The design provides sufficient friction surface and reliable lock, which is not used by other manufacturers. The mount weighs 2.7 Kg, there are two M8 thread holes on one arm’s face and two M6 holes on the other side (center to center separation is 35 mm); in the center of both arms there is a threaded hole that fits nicely with our stainless steel counterweight shaft; on the bottom, there is a 3/8 inch threaded hole for adapting your tripod.(fig.1, the mount itself)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by denebman on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
denebman

Post by denebman »

The mount body is made of high quality aluminium alloy and the altitude shaft of stainless steel. It is worth mentioning that both arms are made of a higher quality aerospace aluminium alloy which is far superior to those T606* series, it cuts and scratches other brand Giro mount with ease. (fig.2 partially disassembled) As for the mount’s payload, I’ve tried my 8 kg TMB 115 OTA setup on one side with or without counterweight the motion is very smooth (fig.3, OTA setup). I also tried to put a 12.5 kg dumbbell on the OTA (total weight is 20 Kg), the motion is still smooth as usual (fig.4, heavy load). I don’t want to invite any argument here but I am sure the Astroslew mount carries most scopes on the market, any interested buyer may have a chance to test and decide. Please bear in mind that any weak point of your supporting system ruins the stability of the whole optical setup, do choose a stable tripod for this mount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by denebman on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
denebman

Post by denebman »

fig.3
Last edited by denebman on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
denebman

Post by denebman »

fig.4
Last edited by denebman on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
denebman

Post by denebman »

Accessories for the Astroslew mount

1. Dovetail/saddle plate combo(fig.5)

Weight: dovetail: 380 gram; saddle plate: 198 gram
Dovetail bar: Width: 55mm (top), 43 mm(bottom), Total thickness: 22mm, Length: 150 mm, dovetail angle: 75 degree.
Saddle plate: 72 mm diameter disc shape bottom with two 8mm holes (35 mm separation)
Features: one side of the dovetail bar is machined with a deep groove to prevent any accidental falling if the locking knob is loose.

2. Stainless steel counterweight shaft (fig. 6)

Weight: 0.88Kg
Length: 40cm, diameter: 20 mm.
For more detail, please see the attached photo.
Last edited by denebman on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
denebman

Post by denebman »

fig.6
Last edited by denebman on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
denebman

Post by denebman »

Price:(Singapore dollar)

Alt-azimuth mount + Counterweight shaft: 410.00

Dovetail/saddle plate combo: 109.00
Last edited by denebman on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

liuming,

What kind of tripod do you suggest to use?
denebman

Post by denebman »

For best stability, I recommend wood tripod or those heavy duty camera tripod like my Gitzo MK2 1500 (please choose the one without center column and least leg sections!)
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi Liu Ming
The partially disassembled mount really looks like some nice engineering :)

Any idea how much does the Gitzo 1500 mount costs?

cheers
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!