The History of Singastro

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
chrisyeo

The History of Singastro

Post by chrisyeo »

Let's try to find out the history of Singastro. Can all the 'old-timers' share whatever they know? I'll try to put together an outline from all the information gathered...

I thought that Remus gave a lecture about the history of Singastro during the SingastroFest 2004. I missed it but can anyone remember what was shared and post it here?

;) Would be great to know our own history

chris
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

As far as I can remember, Singastro was founded by Remus as an "eGroup" at egroups.com; the records show the founding date and first post by Remus on 19 February 1999; it was later taken over by Yahoo groups (and perhaps another organisation in between that), and then became today's stand-alone website.

Along with others like Kay Heem, Vincent Kee, Lin, etc, I was, ahem, one of the original members.

So, Singastro is now 6 1/2 years old. Thanks to Remus!

Here is the first message heading from Remus:

"Date: Fri Feb 19, 1999 11:21 pm
Subject: Welcome to the singastro E-Mail Group "

If anyone can recall other details, let us hear! I vaguely recall there may have been an email mailing list before that, perhaps on the line of sci.astro.amateur. Can't remember too well, though.

Gavin.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

starfinder wrote:As far as I can remember, Singastro was founded by Remus as an "eGroup" at egroups.com; the records show the founding date and first post by Remus on 19 February 1999; it was later taken over by Yahoo groups (and perhaps another organisation in between that), and then became today's stand-alone website.

Along with others like Kay Heem, Vincent Kee, Lin, etc, I was, ahem, one of the original members.

So, Singastro is now 6 1/2 years old. Thanks to Remus!

Here is the first message heading from Remus:

"Date: Fri Feb 19, 1999 11:21 pm
Subject: Welcome to the singastro E-Mail Group "

If anyone can recall other details, let us hear! I vaguely recall there may have been an email mailing list before that, perhaps on the line of sci.astro.amateur. Can't remember too well, though.

Gavin.
Wah Gavin!!!!! Your first post in the forum!!!

Where have you been man my fren?

Welcome!
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Yah...must be Gavin. I recognize his binocs!

Welcome aboard.

I remember the growth of Singastro was modest, while it existed as the yahoo group. There were some attempts to set up a chat group at ad hoc times but it had its own difficulties. Soon, Singastro.org was born. Perhaps someone involved in the transition can chime in.

Kay Heem
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

erm.. i wonder how come i came to know of singastro in yahoo group.. brains getting old.. remember is after my o level in year 2000. I can say singastro play a big part in bring astronomy to Singapore.
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .