Clear Skies, But High Humidity (28 Oct 2030 - 2330)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Clear Skies, But High Humidity (28 Oct 2030 - 2330)

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Just come back from a observation at the Multi-Storey Car Park near my home (Tampines). The skies was clear from 20:30 onward, but the humidity was very, very, very high. I think dew form on my corrector plate and my finderscope at the moment I finish set up my scope, even a dew shield didn't help to slow down the dew... :( I think it time to visit Sim Lim to buy some component to make myself a electronic dew preventer.

Anyway, I found out that dew really can spoil your observation. I experience some difficulty in focusing and there will be slight chromatic aberration when slightly out of focus. Anyone had the same experience???
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Clear Skies, But High Humidity (28 Oct 2030 - 2330)

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Just come back from a observation at the Multi-Storey Car Park near my home (Tampines). The skies was clear from 20:30 onward, but the humidity was very, very, very high. I think dew form on my corrector plate and my finderscope at the moment I finish set up my scope, even a dew shield didn't help to slow down the dew... :( I think it time to visit Sim Lim to buy some component to make myself a electronic dew preventer.

Anyway, I found out that dew really can spoil your observation. I experience some difficulty in focusing and there will be slight chromatic aberration when slightly out of focus. Anyone had the same experience???
Hi Weixing,
Very odd. such a hot day...my experience has been that the car parks in the urban areas are so warm that dew does not form at all even till 3-4am in the morning. unless you are more in the open such as dempsey road will dew form.

If it bothers you, you can get a heat pack...those with adhesive. Simply tear off, attach and walla! no dew! As for its effect, I think the most prominent problem with dew is you see nothing at all!

One bad thing about humidity in singapore is not dew but that it makes you sticky in the open and promotes formation of clouds....

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Normally, the multi-storey car park is quite warm, you can feel some warm air rising, but not today. I was quite surprise of the humidity also, since I don't feel cold, there is no wind and the star didn't blink much. I didn't realise the humidity level until I touch my plastic folder that contain the star chart, the folder was wet!! And when I point my scope at a star(I was testing the ScopeTronix 14mm Wide Angle Eyepiece/Digital Camera Adapter on Mar) at medium magnification, I can't get a pin point star... :(
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

I think a simple D.I.Y dewshield may help a lot. The retractable metal dew shield on the Pronto (though pretty short) seems to work quite well. With that, I've never had any dew forming on the lens ever since the first time I used it for local observing.
Samuel Ng