Found dark observing site in Bedok North

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
By the way, an interesting thing happened last saturday when I showed Tachyon the site. There was a guy who was totally naked running away from us when we opened the door (after he put on his clothes). Tachyon guessed that he was sunbathing up there...haha...
Hmm... I think it should be moon bathing.. ha ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

Hahaha, also nice place to observe "very old chikopek and the maid"? :k-evil: I saw once also in bedok, day time some more, forgot the block already... but it is on top floor. I guess he is trying his newly prescribed v1@gr@. I am the one who run away, before the chikopek notice me. Skali he is gang leader. I am fat and cannot run fast. :cry: I am also small size so a few chikopek can beat me up with their umbrella. :cry: Better not mess with them.

So much interesting thing happening there at bedok, may be it will rival toa payoh. :wink:

Please announce when you guys are going. I would like to meet up and get some :help: guidance. Not on "neighborhood watch" but more on the "bling-bling" things up there.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

antares2063 wrote:Hi,

Fizzy123: Yes there are lights on level 7, but it was only since recently that I noticed they started to switch off the lights after 8pm. I suppose they find it a waste of electricity to keep it turned on.

Im not sure of other carparks, but for most carparks, if the top level is really meant for parking cars, then I suppose they will leave the lights on in case of theft. For 215A, it is not meant for parking cars, so im not too sure what was their original intention for it. Maybe it was meant for rollerblading? From my kitchen window, I am able to look across over to this carpark, anyway I dont notice anyone up there in the daytime.

By the way, an interesting thing happened last saturday when I showed Tachyon the site. There was a guy who was totally naked running away from us when we opened the door (after he put on his clothes). Tachyon guessed that he was sunbathing up there...haha...

Best regards,
Junwei
totally naked on the top floor of the MCP? Then those surrounding flats surely can see him right?
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

weixing wrote: Hmm... I think it should be moon bathing.. ha ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No, it was 3pm in the afternoon! Maybe I will try it during one of the observing sessions! Heh...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Hi everyone,

Last night (08/12/05) the night sky was unbelievably clear. Andrew and I deployed our stuff at the top of the carpark from 8pm onwards. We stayed till 1230am just to catch a peek of saturn again. The sky was the best that I have since for a long time. We managed to see the Andromeda galaxy as a small blob. Even the obscure constellation Lepus the Hare (beside Orion and above Canis Major) was visible to our eyes.

We had a fun time observing the planets using Andrew's tracking 4 inch refractor. Plus we swapped between the Pentax XO 5mm and the TMB Monocentric 5mm on the planets. It was enjoyable: XO, Mono, XO, Mono.

Also there was a dating couple that went up and approached us, so I offered to show them some basic objects like the Moon, Mars, Saturn, Pleaides (M45) and Orion neb (M42) . Its was fun to be introducing the general public to the views of objects through telescopes.

Anyway, for anyone who wishes to try out the observing site, it is highly recommended. Since its concrete, there are no mosquitoes, and things can be placed on the floor. It is also clean enough to lie down on the floor and rest.

Best regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Perhaps next time I can follow you guys for such short obing. Takes about 10 to 15min to get there.
AstroDuck
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

antares2063 wrote:Hi everyone,

Last night (08/12/05) the night sky was unbelievably clear. Andrew and I deployed our stuff at the top of the carpark from 8pm onwards. We stayed till 1230am just to catch a peek of saturn again. The sky was the best that I have since for a long time. We managed to see the Andromeda galaxy as a small blob. Even the obscure constellation Lepus the Hare (beside Orion and above Canis Major) was visible to our eyes.

Best regards,
Junwei

Hi Junwei,

Yes, I too observed some of the clearest skies in Singapore that I can remember, on the night of Thurs 8th Dec around midnight into Friday. Such a rarity.

For example, through my binoculars (in town), I saw many many faint background stars in the Pleaides, much like at Mersing (Telok Sari) on fair days. Also, easily saw most main stars of Perseus with naked eye.

Even M31 visible? wow...

I think it must have been some high pressure system, plus the fact that many external building lights are switched off near midnight. Only wish Singapore's skies are more often like that.
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

Airconvent wrote:mm...how come this is not happening to all car parks??
mine is always lit. my only respite is when one of the lamps blows and they take about 1-2 months to repair it!
eh hehe.. i have an evil plan. lets blow em all out on xmas. there. xmas gift to yourself - at the xmas work expense of the guys repairing it. :twisted: XD (;-; just joking....)

back on topic...

so.. how do we get there at night, when most of the public transport are off?
Last edited by soulfrost on Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Hi Soulfrost,

Well, I would say its better to go there slightly earlier, when buses and MRT are still running. Its within walking distance of the Bedok MRT.

If you exit the MRT undrpass, just follow the main road where the MRT track is running towards the Tanah Merah MRT direction. You will first see a Giant supermarket, followed by a KFC, followed by a series of banks such as DBS, UOB, Standard Chartered. After the banks, you will come to a mcdonalds where you more or less have to turn left. Walk down ,go past the Mcdonalds itself, and a arcade centre called Funland. AfterF unland, just turn right and you will see a series of shops, followed by Pizza Hut and Long John Silvers. Once after Long John Silvers, you will see the carpark 215A.

The buses i know that go along New Upper changi road will be 2,24,31,67,28. If you are interested to check out the place in the daytime or at night, or if you are not sure how to get there, just give me a call at 9137 3921

Best regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
jermng

Post by jermng »

soulfrost wrote: eh hehe.. i have an evil plan. lets blow em all out on xmas. there. xmas gift to yourself - at the xmas work expense of the guys repairing it. :twisted: XD
Erm .... I think it's best to watch what you post online ... The Police Technology Department has been very active in getting pple who say the wrong things online ... =) If anything remote goes wrong on Xmas day ... and something blows up (even if it's one row of street lamps)... they might just question you ... =) Just like what we say in the police force - you can do everything and anything, just make sure nothing happens .... - you can say anything you want ... just hope nothing related to what you say happens, or it'll be investigated ... =)

Clear Skies,
Jeremy Ng
SPF