where to find geminids?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
soulfrost

where to find geminids?

Post by soulfrost »

heard that there will be a shower on 14th dec. anyone know where to see? thanks alot in advance! ^-^
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

The meteors will be radiant from the constellation of Gemini which is on the lower left of Orion. However, mostly spore cannot see meteors well due to the crappy skies. If you do want to watch, make sure that at least it is not overcast.. and look at cloud openings for meteors that are bright enough and lucky enough to pass through that small opening. I have seen meteors like that quite a lot of times in spore. And... you have to be patient.....
AstroDuck
ovc17m

Post by ovc17m »

Guess the best time to view it will be around midnight that night in the direction of east, when the constellation Gemini will rise reasonably high enough to be visible enough.

But the only setback is that the shower will coincide with the Full Moon. :(

Anyway, look out for two bright stars (Castor & Pollux) side-by-side, halfway between the Moon and the eastern horizon. The outbrust (radian) of the meteor shower will be somewhere ard there.

Let's hope the sky is clear on the night! :)
Attachments
geminids.jpg
geminids.jpg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
~Clear skies don't occur every night, so date your BIG LENS out when the chance comes~
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Ya, it's a pity that the peak of the Geminids coincides this year with the full moon.

I am still sore about missing most of the Leonids back in 1999, 2001, etc. Clouds!!!!

BTW, Vincent ovc17m, what software is that in your image? The artwork on the stars is very good.
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

are they of the same color as the ones posted on e pic?
if so. i guess i gonna be the nutcase i always am and try my luck...

btw, is it possible to see the shower when you are midair(ie : in aeroplane)??
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

ive seen lots more "shooting stars" while on the plane!! its a real good thing to do to kill time (flying fm manchester to sg.. or new york to sg!!)
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

im flying from china(beijing) to sg! hope can see man! *esp since it happens to be on the morning of 14th dec!
ovc17m

Post by ovc17m »

Starfinder> I found this image from a website yesterday... i'm only using cybersky as the only program for astro.
~Clear skies don't occur every night, so date your BIG LENS out when the chance comes~