Saturn Watch 2003

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Why not hold it at one of the schools? Saves alot of trouble when it comes to applying for permission etc.....
Can have food, games, etc, which is kinda hard to conduct in a public place. And if the weather turns bad, you guys can bring the crowd to a lecture theater and give some astro talk, so they wouldn't feel like they come for nothing.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Devilname wrote:What if the crowd becomes like the science centre one? News spreads very fast, one auntie will calls her frens, son, grandsons, daughters..then they will all call their frens, frens' frens, so on and so for...Singapore kiasu country..remember?
not likely...for Mars watch, I had publicity done at many channels on the internet and in the end, the reach was decent but not overwhelming.
If we do an adhoc display, I guess apart from the exhibitors' friends and relatives, it will be mostly walk-in people and remember, we are doing it late at night around 10pm when traffic would be relatively light...so the main concern is permit rather than crowd.

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

ChaosKnight wrote:Why not hold it at one of the schools? Saves alot of trouble when it comes to applying for permission etc.....
Can have food, games, etc, which is kinda hard to conduct in a public place. And if the weather turns bad, you guys can bring the crowd to a lecture theater and give some astro talk, so they wouldn't feel like they come for nothing.
maybe the Singastro "Overnight" HQ, SP Stadium would be a good place after all. accessible, relatively dark and big enough. all we have to do is wait for their exams to be over and permission to be sought from SP for hosting a large(or small?) non-student crowd...

rich
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

However, in case of a crowd, whose responsibilty is it for getting the police to help in crowd control?

Kay Heem
We have a responsibility just to inform them of the event and to see if a permit is required, but I don't think the police will really bother upfront with the crowd control for such events unless they receive complaints midway through that we are 'disturbing the peace'. Only then will they come down physically to sort things out. I don't remember seeing any of them at those past huge public events at the Sci Ctr too. Anyone spotted any ?
Samuel Ng
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

What if the crowd becomes like the science centre one? News spreads very fast, one auntie will calls her frens, son, grandsons, daughters..then they will all call their frens, frens' frens, so on and so for...Singapore kiasu country..remember?
This is quite true. At my Toa Payoh Central Mars Watch, while speaking to some people in the queue towards the end of the event, some people actually told me that they were not Toa Payoh residents but had rushed to travel all the way here just to join in after their friends living in Toa Payoh informed them of it ! Whew...
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

harlequin2902 wrote:
However, in case of a crowd, whose responsibilty is it for getting the police to help in crowd control?

Kay Heem
We have a responsibility just to inform them of the event and to see if a permit is required, but I don't think the police will really bother upfront with the crowd control for such events unless they receive complaints midway through that we are 'disturbing the peace'. Only then will they come down physically to sort things out. I don't remember seeing any of them at those past huge public events at the Sci Ctr too. Anyone spotted any ?
yes but the science centre is still considered private property, so they can do what they want but not so in public places...

rich
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

yes but the science centre is still considered private property, so they can do what they want but not so in public places...

rich
Anyway, Toa Payoh Central isn't owned by me either, but they didn't seem to want to be involved in crowd control during my Mars Watch and Moon Observing events too ... 8) Same thing applies I guess -> that they will only arrive on the scene if there's any complaint from others that we are disturbing the peace. Actually the crowd control part can be handled by our own volunteers like in Mars Watch I (Ch Gdns)
Samuel Ng
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

hmm...If we want to hold it like marswatch it will be a very big event..we probably have to notify the authorities..Not forgetting that during that period its still monsoon season.Therefore a VERY big event is not likely now :(

Like what samuel said his Toa Payoh event attracted people not just from Toa Payoh itself...I would like to suggest maybe we just hold a gathering for singastro members itself.Maybe near a public area or something. People who are interested will come and see for themselves.How? 8)
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers