yet another clear nite!!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

yet another clear nite!!

Post by acc »

Juz completed a short observing session as a very thin layer of high-level clouds have juz moved in.

Had stepped onto my balcony at about 11.45pm when I realised the sky here in southern Singapore was the darkest and clearest I have seen in a long while! Feeling a sudden spurt of energy, I dragged out my TV85 and Portaball for a quickie observing session...

The seven sisters were a bright question-mark shape in the sky, and was breathe-taking when seen its entirety through a low power eyepiece on my refractor.

M42 was glorious too. At 174x (7mm T6 Nagler) on the Portaball, the sky was so dark that the nebula almost filled up the entire FOV of the eyepiece (in contrast, the nebula completely overflows even a 32mm eyepiece under the dark skies of Mersing...). The main stars of trapezium looked like small pieces of diamond nestled in silverish silk, while components E & F looked liked tiny specks of diamond dust... :)

Hoping for more clear skies!! :)
starfirez

Post by starfirez »

i was observing too! the sky's great!!!! see stars EVERYWHERE i turn my telescope oh my god!! haha haven't been this excited since i bought my scope. although i don't know what i'm actually looking at but it is a real pleasure just browsing through the sky at 38x. think i actually caught a cluster!! haha and i spot a red star in the middle of the cluster :lol:
starfirez

Post by starfirez »

after checking with the starmap in sky and telescope think the cluster i saw is m41!!! but tried to find it again never succeed hehz.. think my observing skills have much to improve. but i'm very happy!!! sht sky rocks tonight!! :mrgreen:
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Yeah, it was another clear night over at Toa Payoh too. Set up the 100mm binos instead of my regular Pronto for some light observing of the Northern sky and spent most of the time in the end observing just the Double Cluster between Cassiopeia and Perseus.

Starefirez : Your very first Deep Sky Object found through your own scope ? If it is, congratulations ! M41 was my 3rd ever Deep Sky Object observed through my own scope (then a 60mm Tasco Refractor). From the description, it sure is M41 with that reddish star somewhere in the middle.
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

harlequin2902 wrote:Yeah, it was another clear night over at Toa Payoh too. Set up the 100mm binos instead of my regular Pronto for some light observing of the Northern sky and spent most of the time in the end observing just the Double Cluster between Cassiopeia and Perseus.

Starefirez : Your very first Deep Sky Object found through your own scope ? If it is, congratulations ! M41 was my 3rd ever Deep Sky Object observed through my own scope (then a 60mm Tasco Refractor). From the description, it sure is M41 with that reddish star somewhere in the middle.
i noticed it too but working tomorrow ...sigh....

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
elton

Post by elton »

3 very late nights in a row is making me a living zombie... Last night's transparancy was the best for a long time though seeing still not great.

Acc, are components E and F of the trapezium 2 much fainter stars nestled in between / next to the 4 main stars? If so, saw them too and think they could make good star test subjects as they need a combination of resolving power and aperture to see.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Yup, E&F are nestled juz next to the 4 main stars; they seem so delicate and fragile compared to the 4. If I remember correctly, can juz start to resolve them at about 70x.
starfirez

Post by starfirez »

harlequin: yeah my first DSO!! weather has been bad since i bought my scope (wonder why :wink:) n i was so excited last night!! went to school with panda eyes today haha