ETX mount issues

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

*puke* Look at that grren goo!!!!!

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi Weixing, eh ur guess is wrong... :D The black disc was not present in earlier models; its probably a recent addition by Meade to prevent the wires from being chewed up by the gear assemblies that lie underneath it... :) This has happened before to some unfortunate owners...

Eu-wen, the optical encoder is coupled directly or adjacent to the shaft of the motor. Its a small, fragile wheel with radial spokes like a miniature propeller. If ur ETX is not having MUF error, then there's no need to clean it and risk damaging it. :)
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You mean Meade use an encoder wheel??? Ooh man... :shock: !!!! I thought only those product that price at a low cost use these type of encoder wheel, such as Computer Mouse, but actually I'm not surprise... why ???? Look at those cheap gear box... it look like those use by tamiya car.... :(

By the way, I initially thought the encoder is inside the black disc, because those wires really look like wires for the encoder.... :) I never thought that a equipment cost a few thousand can use such cheap encoder and gears... :shock:

Anyway, wish you good luck with your Meade ETX Mount... :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Well, encoder wheels are cheap and effective I suppose... :) Anyway, the wires that goes into the black disc are controls for the DEC drive.