Saturn returns...

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Saturn returns...

Post by acc »

Hi all
Think the weather is really taunting us.... The sky was clear but the full moon had to be up!!! :evil: Nonetheless, had a quickie session looking at a few bright open clusters and of course M42 again.

Saturn was up and had an excellent view of the ring structure when I pushed up the magnification to 500x on the portaball using a silly combination of a 4.8mm nagler and a 2x barlow. View was sharp despite all the glass (11 elements total!!) and it was thrilling to see and to see through the translucent inner-most ring of the beautiful planet. Wonder if anyone else had been out observing?

cheers
cc
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Saturn returns...

Post by Airconvent »

acc wrote:Hi all
Think the weather is really taunting us.... The sky was clear but the full moon had to be up!!! :evil: Nonetheless, had a quickie session looking at a few bright open clusters and of course M42 again.

Saturn was up and had an excellent view of the ring structure when I pushed up the magnification to 500x on the portaball using a silly combination of a 4.8mm nagler and a 2x barlow. View was sharp despite all the glass (11 elements total!!) and it was thrilling to see and to see through the translucent inner-most ring of the beautiful planet. Wonder if anyone else had been out observing?

cheers
cc
hi cc! glad to see life is slowly breathing back into the local scene. even remus has come out of his woodwork and had a session at Eunos.
meanwhile, yl low, matt and company met up at dempsey for their usual imaging-bonding! I had to give both events a miss as I was tired after a wedding dinner....sigh....

hopefully the sp exams will end soon as the regular SP stadium overnights will resume....heh

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Yesterday night was very clear as I join remus in eunos for a observation session... :) The saturn was nice, but forget to take a image of it as I was busy "chee chat" with remus brother :P

Also, just as I expected, a raining day will occur after a clear night(s). And today was a raining day... :(

By the way, according to yesterday "LianHe ZaoBao", the raining season will be starting on the last week of Nov 2003 and till the end of Feb 2004. The worst month will be on Dec 2003 and Jan 2004.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
retro

Post by retro »

In the clear evening sky, I noticed a bright white spot (didn't look like a star) in the sky starting to set. Anyone can fill me in on what that is? Unfortunately I didn't have my scope with me then.
Best Regards,
Adrian
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
It should be Venus.... it can be seen on the west in the evening sky.... :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

yes....good ole venus is back.... was surprised how bright it was. I did not have a chance to look at it through a scope but she's currently about 75% full phase and at -4 magnitude. should be interesting to look at with a suitable polarised filter as its too bright...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets