Using PDA as a DSC?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
elton

Using PDA as a DSC?

Post by elton »

Just reluctantly sold my NGC-Max and now looking for a replacement DSC. Does anyone know how to connect the output from a telescope's encoders to a PDA? Also what astro software is available on PDA which can perform the role of a DSC? (need functions like align, guide to object etc)
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
There is a palm application call PocketDSC v1.0. It is a freeware, but I haven't try it before. May be you can try it. The link is at below:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/astronomy/pocketdsc.shtml

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
elton

Attn : electronics hobbyists. A plossl for your time

Post by elton »

Have been doing some research on my own. It seems that SGT (software guided telescope) solutions need an encoder-serial interface (takes the encoder feed and outputs it through a RS-232 serial port). It is this serial input which a PDA can use. Unfortunately the interface box costs over US$100. Fortunately the interface is a simple electronic circuit which can be homemade, with plans available from the internet (http://home.earthlink.net/~digicircles/dsc.html).

I can't put it together but I'm sure a poly electronics student can easily do it in a day. So here is my proposal : if anyone wants to give it a try, I don't mind giving away a plossl eyepiece + pay for materials for your effort. Who knows you might be able to make more and sell to other Singastro members. Pvt msg pls.