newtonians.....

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
elton

Post by elton »

Ouch Rich, the scorch marks on your ETX105 are showing :P But you did your job as a moderator by encouraging more posts :)

One thing seems to be the consensus though, put a good (not necessarily over the top great) mirror on a large enough newtonian say 10-16" and you will get deep sky and planetary views beating most other commercially available instruments. Quite an unfair comparison though cos most other scope designs rarely go over 12".
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

elton wrote:Ouch Rich, the scorch marks on your ETX105 are showing :P But you did your job as a moderator by encouraging more posts :)

One thing seems to be the consensus though, put a good (not necessarily over the top great) mirror on a large enough newtonian say 10-16" and you will get deep sky and planetary views beating most other commercially available instruments. Quite an unfair comparison though cos most other scope designs rarely go over 12".
impatiently waiting for the 16" (hint...hint!)
yes....everything is much smaller here. In the US, people are talking about having a "normal" 16" Dob and building "Sepcial" 20-25" onces! Coupled with clear skies...that is one view I would very much like to see....!
I saw galaxies as thin mists in Chuan Yee's ex-10" Dob (I should say, Kay Heem's 10" dob now...heh heh) . I wonder how different they will look in a 25" scope under super clear skies...?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

i was reading up on something from the net...

it states that fast newts with parabolic mirrors(being able to bring all the light to common focus) can reduce optical aberration caused by spherical mirrors failing to bring all the light to a common focus...true?

i'm actually quite confused about all the different mirrors in scopes...can someone explain more?

thanks
K.L. Lee