Perseid Meteor shower

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
soulfrost

persids..

Post by soulfrost »

heh. old member who dont know where to post topics..

on topic:
assuming that sky and telescope is accurate- loads of things on aug 13.

around 3+ to 4 am .. persids facing north north east <.<(dont understand that myself)

moons on waning gibbous..

eer.. sorry if i am crapping..
then again, at least this year theres a higher chance of catching leonids , if the weathers gonna be nice ^_^

~gin
Lily

Post by Lily »

So get up on 13 Aug at 3am-4am to catch Persids meteor storm? Could anybody advise the best spot to watch meteor storm in Singapore? Hope I am able to stay up :)

Regards,
Lily
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Lily, a meteor storm kills. No it isn't a storm <- that's so scary!!

Perseids is just a meteor shower, not a storm. I'm not sure about the count, but during a meteor shower the average count is a meteor every few minutes. The 3-4am just predicts which time the count is possibly at its highest, so it's possible to see meteors even at 2am or 5am. Anyone to verify the time? Because i'm not sure if 3am is GMT or Singapore time. if GMT then we cannot see the meteor shower already.

To watch meteor showers, dark places are best places. Since it's said North North East (soulfrost, that means the direction in between north and north-east), find a place that can look to that direction without building cover or very bad light pollution. I think a few places in east coast park can see that direction quite well.

But as far as i remember, perseids are not the nicest to watch in singapore. More popular meteor showers are usually leonids and geminids during november and december respectively. I remember in 1999 leonids was peaking at 1 meteor every 3seconds, but the prediction of date was 1 day too early and i didn't catch it!!! :cry:
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

a meteor storm KILLS?!

heh. well. tried catching leonids last year, but the moon blocked it out.
tried catching geminids last year too. but bad weather
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

do note that although S&T gives counts per minute, usually, this may pertain to transparent sky conditions. One should not expect 5 counts per minute per se. However a better intensity measure would be to treat this entity as an indication of "strength" of the shower instead, as compared to other meteor showers. Perseids are nice. Usually Leonids are associated with fast, swift yellowish green trajectories. Geminids would be the slower ones and more bright occasional passes. Yes, take note of the moon location and phase too, when considering a condusive meteor watch, not forgetting the geographic location and timing of course.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Lily

Post by Lily »

a meteor storm kills. No it isn't a storm <- that's so scary!!
Huh??? From other websites I visited, I got the impression that meteor shower & meteor storm are used interchageably. No? But I never heard any report about people killed by meteor storm :D
jennifer1611991

Perseid Meteor shower

Post by jennifer1611991 »

Are any events going to be set up for the perseid meteor shower? I know that it would be kind of hard for it to be seen cause well, you have be up at 5 but i would just like to know... :)
jennifer1611991

Bummer

Post by jennifer1611991 »

Oh no!! Well.. Thanks so much anyway:) Gosh.. I was so looking forward to it... i mean i was willing to wake up at 5am..oh well... Thanks for replying:) I really appreciate it... and i thought i knew astronomy:(... Thanks again!!:)
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

heh. try leonids. they are kinda cooler. and no moon tis year (in the case of leonids)! YAY!
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

lol. meteor storm = meteors that literally HIT earth. so far only a dog got crushed to death. and that happened during the late 1800, if im right.

meteor showers are usually just showers of meteor ( practically too small to reach earth) that usually end up burning up in the atmosphere.

so... if its going to be used interchangably, its probably because both enter earth's atmosphere and burn up . or at least.. just .. "rains"

try imagining exploding hails for meteor showers. except its medium to huge rocks. huge space rocks.

and er rcj, i thought leonids are said to be really coluorful?
heh..