Perseid Meteor shower

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Jennifer,

Small mistake I spotted. It should read:
"you do not need to watch a meteor shower at the exact day and time of the predicted peak to enjoy it. "

No problem! Happy to share about the night sky. There's more to enjoy than just meteors, but if you want to enjoy "more than one meteor", the best way is to wait for a trip to a dark place and enjoy them there. In Singapore, you do spot a bright one every now and then, so just keep looking up! :)
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

haha.ok.. my wrong. a small meteorid knocked out a dog which eventually died ._. that was the only death caused so far. >< my wrong!
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Just happened. Don't think it hit anyone. :)

Meteorite shower causes panic in Saurastra and Kutch
http://www.gujaratglobal.com/nextSub.ph ... atype=NEWS

2006-08-01 06:51:27

Gujarat Global News Network, Ahmedabad

A great ball of fire traversing in the sky sent panic waves in Saurastra and Kutch on Monday night. It hit the ground with a great bang near Maliya Miyana. Utensils in the houses in this area were shaken by the shock of the heavenly body....
philip

Post by philip »

:D :lol: only a few documented cases on record. A shower of stones fell upon Nakhla, near Alexandria, Egypt on June 28, 1911, one of which allegedly killed a dog. On November 30, 1954, Mrs. Hewlett Hodges of Sylacauga, Alabama was severely bruised by an 8 pound stony meteorite that crashed through her roof. This is the first known human injury.
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

So like what time or night do you think would be good to watch the perseids or leonids? I mean i know i don't really have to be at the exact time or place but where do you think the shower would be exceptional? :)
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

philip wrote::D :lol: only a few documented cases on record. A shower of stones fell upon Nakhla, near Alexandria, Egypt on June 28, 1911, one of which allegedly killed a dog. On November 30, 1954, Mrs. Hewlett Hodges of Sylacauga, Alabama was severely bruised by an 8 pound stony meteorite that crashed through her roof. This is the first known human injury.
im still right aint i?x3
thou sry abt that scare thing <.<

er jennifer, i prefer beaches, but thats just me.
the others seem to prefer one at a darkenth carpark in bedok.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

So like what time or night do you think would be good to watch the perseids or leonids? I mean i know i don't really have to be at the exact time or place but where do you think the shower would be exceptional?
Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to say, as to where a shower would be exceptional, the answer is 'nowhere in Singapore'. However, you may find a nice dark spot such as a beach to observe and if the weather is clear, you may catch some meteors.
East Coast or Tanjong Beach in Sentosa are popular sites. If you can get a car to send you, Lim Chu Kang Lane 1a will be a good bet as well (if you dare).

Cheers,
Chris

Info from http://www.theastronomer.org/forthcoming_meteors.html:
Perseids max Aug 12d20h UT
chart. Despite not producing peak rates as high as those of the Leonid outbursts and the Geminids, the Perseid meteor shower remains the favourite for most observers. This is because, in addition to being rich in bright and trained meteors, it also occurs during summer in the northern hemisphere as opposed to the cold nights of late autumn for the two aforementioned showers.

Perseid activity can be seen from the last week of July through to the third week of August. The Full Moon of Aug 9 will make observations difficult around Perseid maximum. However it is worth bearing in mind that the Perseids are rich in bright meteors and thus even with the moon present in the sky, if you observe with the moon outside your field of view, you are still likely to see higher observed rates than those seen for some other showers in moonless skies ! The highest observed rates on any given night are likely to be seen when the radiant is highest in the sky late in the night.

Leonids max Nov 17d 23hUT and Nov 19d 04:45UT
chart. After the unfavourable conditions of 2005, the moon will be less of a problem in 2006, with New Moon occurring on Nov 20. Of the two peaks listed above, the first is the "standard" Leonid peak for which the ZHR will probably be around 10-20. The second peak is for a predicted encounter with a 2-revolution dust trail which should produce a higher ZHR, although it is very unlikely to produce storm level activity. This predicted second peak is best timed for observers in western Europe and western Africa.

Leonid activity can be seen from Nov 14-20. The Leonid radiant doesn't rise until the late evening, and is highest late in the night.
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

Hi folks:

Glad to see so many of you are interested in Meteors. I dont mind giving a free presentation on video astronomy in September onwards.

I dont own a laptop - so if there is a venue(lecture hall) available and someone have a projector friendly laptop i will bring my stuff in thumbdrive and lets have some fun on video meteor detection and shower association and full frame PAL DV video of meteors of various size and shape.

For singastro folks i will have to upgrade the existing materials to level II to include more details.

Let me know.

Thnx

P/s Remus - SP?
rgds
ykchia
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Singapore is a bad place to observe meteors with all the bright city lights and horrible clouds. During a meteor shower, it is still possible to see but you will not expect many; you will see the brightest meteors that survived all these obstacles. I have tried seeing meteor showers quite many times and I have usually saw a few meteors during those showers albeit horrible weather and bright lights. Therefore, if you have not seen any meteors before, it is still possible to catch you first meteor. :) However, if you expect a dazzling meteor shower with meteors shooting all over the place and like fireworks... sad to say it is not possible. I have yet to even see a dazzling meteor shower yet. So far my rate of seeing is like 2 to 3 meteors in an hour.. and that is looking at the RIGHT DIRECTION. So you also need patience.
AstroDuck
Lily

Post by Lily »

I dont mind giving a free presentation on video astronomy in September onwards.
Yes, please please.
I dont own a laptop - so if there is a venue(lecture hall) available and someone have a projector friendly laptop
I should be able to get a laptop. You need a projector too right? Let's hope someone can arrange a lecture hall. Is a classroom ok?
Singapore is a bad place to observe meteors with all the bright city lights and horrible clouds
Where is the best place to watch a meteor shower? Really hope to watch this coming Leonids.

Regards,
Lily