Jeremy, Anat and River pls take a look (astroslew-III)

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
denebman

Jeremy, Anat and River pls take a look (astroslew-III)

Post by denebman »

I provide more informative answers to your enquiries here. :)

As a prudential step to further my product line, astroslew-III is still made in very small batch. Its design concept is same as that of astroslew-II: to shape the mount body out of a one-piece metal block.

The astroslew-III is still made of T7075 aluminium alloy (stronger than T6061). Its friction surfaces (alt & azimuth) are reduced to 80 mm dia. as compared to astroslew-II, however its altitude and azimuth shaft (304 stainless steel) are made longer. The altitude friction of astroslew-III is high enough to allow one change most of his 1.25" eyepiece while keeping the OTA pointing at its target. Your OTA will not tilt automatically when observing zenith even if a massy eyepiece such as Nagler T5/31 is used. And again, the altitude and azimuth motion can be recorded at the shaft's ends, which I think is an encoder friendly feature.

The dampening time is only 0.3 second when a Mewlon 210 OTA is used at 200 X magnification on my astroslew-III. (tripod: gitzo mk-II 1500)

Anat, I think it is best to customize an astroslew mount with 5-inch diameter friction disc for your long OTA, the cost and weight will be definitely higher.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
denebman

Post by denebman »

Observing zenith with Mewlon 210
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Looks good, Denebman. Anyway to incorporate slo-mo controls?
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

can u have a dual arm version?
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

hmmm..looks real nice n solid!!
denebman

Post by denebman »

Kayheem,

Slow motion is not difficult, the problem is the cost. To me, a pair of high quality worm gear cost more than the mount itself at this moment. It is still some kind of "research" to me. :)

Vinsnr,

Dual arm is easy to make but it adds difficulty for future DSC use, the friction disc design may not allow the second arm as sturdy as the friction arm.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Hi Denebman, your product is very well crafted. BTW, what is the max. load capacity?
denebman

Post by denebman »

cataclysm wrote:Hi Denebman, your product is very well crafted. BTW, what is the max. load capacity?
At this moment, the astroslew-III handles my heaviest setup: (Mewlon 210 OTA + diagonal + Denk-I binoviewer + a pair of TV PL 32 that is slightly more than 10 Kg) with ease and composure.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

denebman wrote:Kayheem,

Slow motion is not difficult, the problem is the cost. To me, a pair of high quality worm gear cost more than the mount itself at this moment. It is still some kind of "research" to me. :)
I don't think we need such a high quality set of gears. The ones in the EQ4 and the portamount are good enough.

I was thinking of getting your astroslew and trying to modify it to accept a set of gears I bought.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

yup, i too look forward to a future version with slo-mo controls.
Astroslew-IV?