Star Hopping Aid

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Star Hopping Aid

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I make this when I first learn how to star hopping with a star chart and I find it very useful for planning the star hopping route and show you the coverage of your 5º finderscope.

There are 6 different templates:
1) Sky Atlas 2000.0 Desk & Field Version for Telrad
2) Sky Atlas 2000.0 Desk & Field Version for Rigel QuikFinder
3) Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe Version for Telrad
4) Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe Version for Rigel QuikFinder
5) Pocket Sky Atlas Telrad
6) Pocket Sky Atlas Rigel QuikFinder

The last circle is a 5º circle which is a very common 50mm finderscope field of view.

The left side is a scale ruler for estimating angular distance on the charts. The right side is the brightness scale of star used in the chart... use the height of the bar to compare with the width or height of the star in the star chart to estimate the brightness of the star in the star chart.

To use it, just print out on a transparency (don't print with scaling). Cut out the one that you need and laminate it for protection or put in one of those small plastics holder for pass.

Happy star hopping and have a nice day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Yes, this can be very useful for star-hoppers, good to laminate it and tie to your star atlas as a bookmark. :)
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

the link doesn't seem to work. or is it just a problem with my browser ?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
the link doesn't seem to work. or is it just a problem with my browser ?
Don't use right-click and save as... it won't work.

Just click on it and you should be able to download it.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

it worked for me by right clicking and saving it. clicking on the download link didn't work. but it doesn't matter now. got the file. thx
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yup useful charts. I also made for telrad and 5 degree FOV for my Sky Atlas 2000 Deluxe. However I am not using it due to its sheer size and rather difficult to photocopy since the size is bigger than A4. I am using my PDA software instead which also can set the FOV and put a telrad circle, better still the FOV can be whatever possible orientation (inverted, mirror, correct, inverted-mirror.. 4 possibilities) and the star magnitude can go very deep and be set at certain magnitude.
AstroDuck