Republic Polytechnic Mid Autumn Festival celebration

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

sob.. missed the mooncakes and buffet dinner.. but my fault, came late.. :P

Really huge place! It seems like a well organised event; good crowd and everyone was having fun.

Cheers.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Yes, I applaud RP for a well organised event. The buffet was superb! Had a very nice dinner (sorry for OT to the dinner instead of the event :P) The haze also allowed us to explain to the public why the moon is "orange" and "yellow", so that they understand more about astronomy, on top of providing us with a natural filter. I remember a lot of people saying "Where's the picture pasted? It looks too real!" after they lookedi into the R200SS, and the Mewlon 180. The pentax on 5" SCT was of course, another reason to pop another look at the moon. I realised i forgot to take out my binoculars, given the array of choices available....

Hope you all continue organising such events to capture the public's attention more often!
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The buffet was superb!
Work late yesterday and the haze suddenly become very bad... So didn't go in the end... :( :( Seem like I miss a nice buffet... err... I mean event... :P :P :P
after they lookedi into the R200SS,
Ah yo... forget that RP got the R200SS... miss a chance to take a closer look at the R200SS (One of my short listed scope)... :( :( Care to give a review on it??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Kudos to the RP organisers for a great, well-organised event! I came just in time (7pm) for the catered dinner, which was really nice, though I skipped the mooncakes (had too much recently). RP already had set up their 3-inch Borg, Mewlon 180 and R200SS, so I set up my C5+ nearby and pop in the Pentax 40XL for a pleasing view of the whole moon at 30x with the natural orange 'haze' filter. Some students also had a bit of fun capturing an image of the Moon with their cameras and phone cameras. Overall it was an enjoyable occasion; it's a pity that not many Singastro members turned up....
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Yeah....very well organised.

I was there at 4.30pm to give a talk and the students are already all set and ready in the lecture hall.

Was very impressed by the architecture of RP. If Richard didn't mention, I didn't even know the lawn area is on top of a building! But now to think about it, it's true because I parked my car at the multi-storey car park at level 3 or 4 and it is the same level as the lawn area. A lot of green space and not cramped. I like it!

The dinner buffet was nice. But what was really nice is that I found a table to seat near to a canteen/foodcourt and while the canteen has closed, they still have the radio or speakers on playing really cool nice music. Very foreign university kind of style.

All in all, very well organised event. Jin peng was a wonderful host too.
tyco

Post by tyco »

Hi,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the event, sorry i could not have talked to you more but i was busy running around. This is a real boost for us... being the first major event that we are organising for the new committee it is nice to hear good news, haha.

Hope more can join us for our future events.

And thanks for joining us, we were happy to have you all with us.
Thank You,
Alvin Arvind Jaya Raj
Vice-President Republic Polytechnic Astronomy Club
Jin Peng

Post by Jin Peng »

well done to my new committee people, in fact, would like to share this success to the rest of the people who help out in this event especially to the new republican astro committee people, without them, this event might not take place at all!

Thanks to the haze that night! or else I would need to wear my sun glasses when looking at the moon via the mewlon 180 with takahashi eyepiece 30mm...haha....
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

Seems like everyone who turn up enjoyed themselves. Pity I couldn't make it cos of the wedding dinner. Would have loved to look thru those scopes. :(

Even though I didn't manage to turn up, I'd like to thank RP for their invitation to this Mid Autumn Festival celebration.
...clouds, please go away, let me see the stars today...