looking forward in living in singapore...

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

jermng wrote:
VinSnr wrote: Just do what you are told, dun complain, dun protest, dun say bad things about the government, dun break the law, dun group in public, dun demonstrate, pay your dues on time, and you will be happy here.
HAHA ... Come on ... I'm sure we can paint a more positive picture to welcome our new friend ... :)
More positive picture? Umm..ok..roads are clean, public services are very efficient, most places are safe, a lot of nice shopping centres, got singastro, umm.....what else? Can't think of any
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Well, security, for one thing.

Having travelled for the last 10 years, I realised that life is a series of trade-offs. Freedom and security are two ends of the spectrum. You can have more freedom but you sacrifice security in the process (e.g. USA). Or you have have more security and sacrifice freedom (e.g. Singapore).

Even now, my guests from US are constantly amazed that we can walk alone the streets of Singapore after dark.

Those who cherish freedom have moved on to countries that value freedom to make their living. These emigrants have been balanced by those who value security and decided to make their living here.

Either way, it's fine - To each his/her own. Show me a country with 10 good points, and I will show you 10 bad points about the country. Life is never perfect, and never will be...

Wow! I didn't realise I was soooo.. off topic! :oops:
Last edited by Tachyon on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
mandaragit

Post by mandaragit »

hey guys, just an update... and by the way thanks for all the advice.

i read somewhere(messier binocular club?) that most messier objects can be seen even with a cheap US$15 7x35 binoculars. so i was shopping for some clothes last week(im finally going to singapore on the 17th, and i've heard that clothes are expensive there... so im gonna buy my clothes here in the phil) and i saw this very cheap binoculars(tasko 60x60 US$3 :shock: hehehe it even comes with a measuring line on one of the lenses when you look through it). so i said to myself 'what the heck, its cheap anyway...' and i bought it. last night we had a very clear sky, so i tested my priced binoculars... and wow, i really liked what i saw even with a bright moon and all the shaking(the binos quite on the heavy side). i think i saw the orion nebula on orion and the pleiades is just a sight to behold... :P and i can see craters on the moon! including the lady's pearl(?). can't wait to buy a pair of good(and light) binoculars when i go to singapore.... but right now, i'll try to enjoy the sights here as much as i can...

sorry for the long message :oops: just wanna share my thoughts... tried to share it with some of my friends but they just said 'nice' with a what's-the-big-deal look on their face :lol:

thanks and more power... hope im welcome on some of your observing sessions, cause i cant wait to look through a real telescope