Geminids Observation

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Clifford60

Geminids Observation

Post by Clifford60 »

Anyone interested to observe Geminids on 15/12 (Fri) fm 11pm @ either East coast area G jetty or near CP C4/D1 site.

Info on Geminids
Dates Peak RA Dec Vel ZHR Rating
7-17/12 14/12 7:28 33 35 120 Strong
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

im in i gues.
opteron

Post by opteron »

i would like to join in this trip.

but sadly i dont have a car/ scope.

is it possible to mount a DSLR (nikon d70s) on some kind souls' scope? :)
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

You don't need a scope to see meteors. Also, it is hard to see meteors with a scope unless you are very lucky as the field of view is so small. :)
AstroDuck
opteron

Post by opteron »

Canopus Lim wrote:You don't need a scope to see meteors. Also, it is hard to see meteors with a scope unless you are very lucky as the field of view is so small. :)
:o

oh...i see.
thanks
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

so the geminids meteor shower will be strongest at 11pm?
opteron

Post by opteron »

anyone staying near bukit batok? can hitch a ride/taxi?
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

It seems that the Geminids are predicted to peak at 7pm Singapore time (11hr UTC) on Thursday 14 Dec 2006, see:

http://skytonight.com/observing/home/4882906.html
"Meteor activity should be strongest around 11:00 December 14th, Universal Time. (6 a.m. EST or 3 a.m. PST). But the peak is fairly broad, so there should be plenty of meteors all night long."

and

http://skytour.homestead.com/met2006.html#anchor_13
"The Geminids are a beautiful, prolific and reliable shower.

The Geminids can produce observed rates of up to 100/hour at maximum. Even if those numbers are a bit optimistic for this year, this will be a shower that just about anyone can enjoy if the weather cooperates. "

This is being billed as the best meteor shower in 2006!

The radiant in Gemini (near Castor/Pollux) will rise at around 8-9pm I think. As the moon (1/3) will only rise around 1am, interference will be minimal.

Regarding ZHRs: :
http://www.theastronomer.org/forthcoming_meteors.html
"Geminid activity can be seen from Dec 7-16. Results from recent years have shown the peak ZHR to be over 100 and to remain above 70 per hour for about 24 hours. The shower is typically rich in bright meteors, but produces few trained meteors. The radiant is highest at about 02h local time and for observers at northern temperate latitudes is above the horizon all night."

I will try to observe it tonight, Wednesday, 1 day before the peak, from somewhere away from bright lights.

The main observation session would be on Thursday night, weather permitting, just after sunset, which will be just hours after the predicted peak.

Anyone planning anything on Thursday early to mid evening?

Am thinking of going to the area along the sea just beside the compound of the SAF Yatch Club (west of it), along Tanah Merah Coast Road. This area is near the new Changi Naval Base.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_tra ... 24&level=5

Did some observing there about a year ago. The skies were quite dark there.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Since the peak is tomorrow (14/12), if weather permit, will head for LCK end Lane 1A for the viewing, ETA 10pm for about 2 to 3 hrs. Interested party, please post here. Might have 2 cars heading there. Driver are welcome.

If weather don't permit, we will still have Friday (15/12) @ area B jetty instead of area G jetty or C4/D1.
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

Hi folks:

Gems building up ..... this is the Gems and other meteors gnomonic plot for this morning haul. The video record indicate some clear patches 3-4am

www.nightevents.blogspot.com

If you have a chance watch starting now , 12/ 14, 15 and perhaps 16.
I will rely on video since I need to work the next day..

rgds
ykchia