Anyone travelling to HK? Low scope prices there.

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
addy

Anyone travelling to HK? Low scope prices there.

Post by addy »

Came across this site while browsing thru the net.. http://www.grandeye.com.hk/

Looks like the prices of Meade in HK are much better compared to that in Singapore.. specially the 8" LX90..
url]http://www.grandeye.com.hk/promote_meade.htm[/url]

Check some other acessories too..

clear skies..
Addy

Post by Guest »

yeah....THAT's what I am talking about!

S$1800 (plus change) for a 10" LXD55....

Ticket to HK...400
accomodation....friends
big suitcase able to hold 45 kilo's of telescope....60 bucks

hmmmmm.....

Hong Kong....here i come!

thanks for the link addy!
addy

Post by addy »

Yes.. I dont how hangkong dealers can always give better rates than other places.. Maybe its something to do with sales tax regime in HK.. Even the photographic products are cheaper their.. I am not sure whether we have local Meade dealers and what are their prices.. But last time I tried to check with someone in KL who is listed on Meade site... and I had fever for 7 days when I saw those prices..

clear skies
Addy
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

addy wrote:Yes.. I dont how hangkong dealers can always give better rates than other places.. Maybe its something to do with sales tax regime in HK.. Even the photographic products are cheaper their.. I am not sure whether we have local Meade dealers and what are their prices.. But last time I tried to check with someone in KL who is listed on Meade site... and I had fever for 7 days when I saw those prices..

clear skies
Addy
In reality, cost of scopes is not anywhere near the "Retail" price.
Due to support issues, overseas dealers outside the US actually get UHTC and autostar as default and at a lower price than US/Canada residents to compensate for the increased risk.

Dealers buys them at a low dealer price and then it is up to them to either sell high but fewer customers or sell low and more customers. People in HK are fiercely entrepreneurial , so I'm not surprised they priced it aggressively. I have spoken to the guy in KL and he does not strike me as someone who wants to focus on sale numbers to increase profit margins.

Also, in what is an illogical business sense, if you buy the scope from KL, he would have Meade ship the item to him and then forward it to Singapore, incurring double taxation and shipping cost. if he were more customer friendly, he would have shipped the item direct to Singapore instead. As a guide, I bought a right angle finder for my ETX90 some time back and he charged me S$160 (retail price in US is US$49) for it! And that excludes shipping as I had my Malaysian relative buy it and hand carry it back to me! I am still sore about it but then again, I had a choice not to buy from him...I cannot understand how an item in such a small box can cost so much more than the retail price.

From the HK site you indicated, if this dealer can sell the finder at around S$80, I can't understand why the Malaysian would sell me at $160....

in mitigation, my uncle met the guy when he collected my viewfinder and found him to be friendly and helpful...only fault is his bad prices...oh well...nothing is perfect ! :D

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
addy

Post by addy »

You are right.. Meade has such an extensive product range and given the fact that astronomy fever in singapore is catching up Meade guys shoudl do something... Has any of our local singapore dealer contacted Meade to stock some the Meade stuff here in Singapore.. I guess it will make a lot of business of them and Meade..
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

addy wrote:You are right.. Meade has such an extensive product range and given the fact that astronomy fever in singapore is catching up Meade guys shoudl do something... Has any of our local singapore dealer contacted Meade to stock some the Meade stuff here in Singapore.. I guess it will make a lot of business of them and Meade..
the local dealer still can't do it yet. Infinity Infocus of Msia holds the exclusive right to sell Meade scopes in this region.

So when our local dealer buy Meade stuff, all their stuff have to go through Msia and then Singapore...incuring double taxation and shipping....now you know why it's expensive.

And to be a Meade dealer is not easy. Need to have enough volume sales and a showroom.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

VinSnr wrote: the local dealer still can't do it yet. Infinity Infocus of Msia holds the exclusive right to sell Meade scopes in this region.
So when our local dealer buy Meade stuff, all their stuff have to go through Msia and then Singapore...incuring double taxation and shipping....now you know why it's expensive.
And to be a Meade dealer is not easy. Need to have enough volume sales and a showroom.
Hi,
The part about Infinity Infocus having exclusive rights is not correct (as feedback by Meade).
I have personally contacted Meade via letter and email and the reason they gave is so far, no one had been interested in becoming their agent in Singapore. Of course, they are also not selecting any tom dick and harry..they want an established company , one that they know will be able to spread the Meade good word! Anyone who has a big company and willing to take up this dealership, I can provide him/her with the contact email. However, the chance is slim as the market here and even in the region is small and making Meade excited would be difficult...Science Centre is out as they are a Celestron dealer and even then, maybe the prices would not vary from II very much...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
cinq

Post by cinq »

Hi!

45kgs?!! That's a lot to bring as luggage, isn't the limit like 20kgs? That's what it was when I went to the States and UK for holiday, don't know if it's different for HK but I guess it's okay if you have some special limit coz of frequent flyer club thingy. If not, I understand excess luggage is VERY expensive.

Cindy