Recommendation for a portable grab and go telescope mount

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
addy

Recommendation for a portable grab and go telescope mount

Post by addy »

Hi

I am looking for a portable, light weight (but sturdy) grab and go mount for quick setup and outdorr viewing. I realise that though the EQ mounts are great and can track well, but they are just too heavy and need an awfully long time setting and aligning them.

Is an alt-az mount a good option? I know there might be some limitations regarding tracking etc, but I am currently looking at visual purpose only. Any recommendations? I am looking at something better than manfrotto 410 geared head. I have seen some reviews of Teleoptic Giro-II and its comparison with Televue Gibralter/telepods etc..

Do our local vendors have such mounts in singapore?

clear skies
Addy
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

For visual, an alt-az mount is a good choice as a grab-and-go scope due to its quick setup that does not dampen your mood to observe. I have the Televue Gibralter mount which is a pleasure to use. Its wooden tripod is very heavy however. It will be good if you can find an aluminium tripod with a Gibralter-like head.
cinq

Post by cinq »

Addy,

My first thought is, what are the specs of your telescope! If it's a small light thing (like the shorttube), the Gibralter would be overkill.

Also, in the Gibralter range, consider the excellently reviewed giro mount. ITE (http://www.iteastronomy.com) is the US dealer, Markus Ludes sells them in Germany.

Yiren bought one some time ago (maybe after I kept talking about it) and last I heard he's happy with it but you can read read reviews at http://www.cloudynights.com/mounts.htm. For small scopes, consider the borg alt-az too (also mentioned in Dave N's very detailed review of the smaller borg ED scopes: http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews/borg76ed.htm)

Cindy
addy

Post by addy »

Hi Cindy...

thanks for the recommending the Giro.. I am seriously looking at three options - the GR II DX, borg alt az and teegul and borg alt az.. After reading the reviews I am more inclined to get the GR-II DX..

As we discussed last, I am not going for large aperture scopes.. I travel a lot and I will limit myself to a max of 4" ST refractor.. I have been saving for a Borg 100ED though for some time and might get it when I return back from Paris.. GR-II is capable of handling heavy scopes as well as some of reviewers have used it with a C8 Cat scopes.. thats is another reason why I should get it..

Where is Yiren these days.. very quite.. haven't seen even a single post from him for some time.. Is he still using his GR-II :wink: (Just thinking if I could save my shipping cost in case he isn't using it)..

clear skies
Addy
cinq

Post by cinq »

Hey Addy

He's quite busy, but I asked him for you and he said:

"i just used my giro-2 and borg to show some pple on my floor saturn during opposition day. i think i told u the borg does go out of alignment sometimes - maybe i have not been too gentle with it, but i wished it were more sturdy in that aspect. so my current images are only ok by my standards. it is a v portable scope in terms of weight and the ability to be broken up into pieces since the tubes and lens cells can be unscrewed; which seems to be what addy is looking for. he can probably find a case where the borg and giro-2 would fit inside"

Note, it was on icq, so the message is truncated..lol.

Don't know if you know but Yiren is in Yale for further studies, so the Borg 100ED and the giro 2 mount are in the US.

I think APM should give me commission man, first Yiren now you. :wink:

cheers
Cindy