Should I join TASOS?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
chrisyeo

Should I join TASOS?

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi,

I'd like to ask those who are members of The Astronomical Society of Singapore (TASOS), should I join the society?

What do they do? Is it worth it? What would I expect to get out of it?

Perhaps others might want to share their view of what TASOS is to them, and how it stands in relation to SingAstro and any other astronomical clubs in Singapore?

Cheers!
Chris
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Should I join TASOS?

Post by Airconvent »

chrisyeo wrote:Hi,
I'd like to ask those who are members of The Astronomical Society of Singapore (TASOS), should I join the society?
Perhaps others might want to share their view of what TASOS is to them, and how it stands in relation to SingAstro and any other astronomical clubs in Singapore? Cheers!
Chris
mmm...sensitive question. TASOS is officially registered, so it is run for in a no-nonsense manner. "Presidented" by Albert who is very experienced in the subject of astronomy, you will probably benefit from observing with him.
However, I also have this feeling (misconception or otherwise) that TASOS caters more to the higher class types like CEOs, expatriates, scholars , etc whereas Singastro is more down to earth.

You will notice that the composition of Singastro is made up of mostly middle class workers and the astro clubs of all polys and some jcs...
with a younger population, you benefit more from their enthusiasm, drive and above all much more active participation. Just look at TASOS official website and you see they practically have no forum going and observations are few and far between (as far as the site info is concerned anyway).
on the other hand, whenever there is clear sky, many singastroians would be out in force!

and best of all, its FREE!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Should I join TASOS?

Post by VinSnr »

chrisyeo wrote:Hi,

Perhaps others might want to share their view of what TASOS is to them, and how it stands in relation to SingAstro and any other astronomical clubs in Singapore?

Cheers!
Chris
I can tell you that you will learn more things here than there.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Haha.. it does seem a little sensitive. But that's regrettable, no?

I'm not sure, but does it seem that we are 'poaching' on the same population of astronomers? There are those who know TASOS but not Singastro and vice versa. Could there not be a formal (tasos) and informal (singastro) side to the same coin? :?

I'm not sure, but TASOS members might want to disagree that they 'cater more to the higher class types like CEOs, expatriates, scholars , etc'.. :)

Rich, do you know Albert? How do you think he sees Singastro?

Sure would like to see all the different bodies form one big community to promote astronomy. After all, the tasos objectives are listed as:

The promotion of an interest in astronomy for beginners as well as the advanced.
The encouragement of all aspects of observational astronomy and the association of observers at all levels for mutual benefit.
The circulation of current astronomical information and observational materials.
The support of regional and international cooperation among astronomical organisations.

Cheers!
Chris

hmm.. maybe should 'feedback' to Tasos to 'redirect' their young members here. :wink:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

chrisyeo wrote: Rich, do you know Albert? How do you think he sees Singastro?
I have met him before and as president of TASOS, of course it is logical to conclude some rivalry is unavoidable. However, I very much doubt there is any poaching in members as TASOS has been very inert where recruitment is concerned and their new members continue to be the categories I mentioned earlier (remember the scholar weilin? :roll: )
Singastro, on the other hand, has been fairly successful in attracting the younger population from most academic astro clubs in singapore.
hopefully both entities will continue to work towards promoting astronomy in singapore with the possibility of cooperation in the not-too-distant future....

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets