IDA-Globe at night Survey

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Fuzzball
Favourite scope: Celestron SCT Scopes

IDA-Globe at night Survey

Post by Fuzzball »

Hi, thought this is a good exercise we can do. IDA is do a worldwide survey of the night sky light pollution from 8-21 of Mar. What you need to do is to go into IDA link http://www.globe.gov/globeatnight/ and take 5 short actions :

1) Find your latitude and longitude.

2) Find Orion by going outside an hour after sunset
(about 7-10pm local time)

3) Match your nighttime sky to one of our magnitude charts.

4) Report your observation.

5) Compare your observation to thousands around the world

This will all be in the IDA site. I just did the survey today and I report the SIngapore sky limited magnitude as 3-4.

More information below:
The National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO), along with the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA), Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) and others, invite you to join thousands of other students, families and citizen-scientists hunting for stars during March 8–21, 2007. Take part in this international event called GLOBE at Night to observe the nighttime sky and learn more about light pollution around the world.

GLOBE at Night is an easy observation and reporting activity that takes approximately 15–30 minutes to complete. Citizen-scientists record the brightness of the night sky by matching its appearance toward the constellation Orion with one of seven stellar maps of different limiting magnitude. They then submit measurements online. Resulting maps of all observations are created and placed back online by the GLOBE at Night staff within the weeks that follow.

During the 2006 event over 18,000 people from 96 countries submitted observations, including data from every U.S. state. Help us exceed these numbers in 2007!
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

nice, thanks for posting it.

really wish the clouds would go away though...
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Looks interesting. Will try to make the observations here in Singapore and at Mersing.

Can anyone remember what the visible limiting magnitude is at Mersing (Telok Sari observation field)? I think R. Low has commented on it before.

Perhaps these figures can later be uploaded to the Singastro Wiki on Mersing.
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

just found out I won't be able to submit a report since Indonesia is not on the list :roll: :|
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

Singapore is not one of their (GLOBE) list too. My students and I took part last year. Maybe our data is not significant enought.
Wee Nghee the Pooh
Fuzzball
Favourite scope: Celestron SCT Scopes

Post by Fuzzball »

I realise that Singapore is not in the list too. :( I gave my feedback that they should have Singapore and Malaysia in their list. Hope it will change.
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

Aww.. No singapore.. great :(
river

Post by river »

Look at it as another science research, you have to exclude bad sample data if you have to do so. I will not worry too much about light pollution in this region coz we have bigger problem -- air pollution, farm clearing, haze etc. You can use filters to combat light pollution but you can't do much with air pollution.

I think it is ok for them to exclude this region if then just want to study the light pollution, don't feel bad.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
They only include those countries that have signed GLOBE agreements and Singapore and Malaysia are not one of those countries.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: