your OTHER hobbies!

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

My other hobby is buying and selling astro gears :D :D :D
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
jermng

Post by jermng »

I thought that WAS your hobby??!! HAHA
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

My hobbies change every year... currently my hobby is in investing. Which is why I seldom have time to ob nowadays. My weekends are spent on reading annual reports.. :)

Past hobbies include:

1. Pets (dog, birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, cats, sea monkeys, fishes, quails, and chicken)

2. Plants (terrestrial and aquarium plants)

3. Chemistry sets

4. Avian incubation

5. Motorbikes

6. Outdoor activities - rollerblading, windsurfing, mountain trekking, jungle trekking, racers.

7. Canine psychology

8. Lego mindstorms (robotics)

9. Bioinformatics

10. Wine collection

11. Stamp collection

12. AI/Expert Systems/Data Mining

13. Cryptography

14. Archeology

And other unmentionables... :P
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

I hope you're not investing in Meade: http://www.meade.com/nasdaq/investor_pr ... frame.html
branzzz

Post by branzzz »

how does one go about doing stocks and all?
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

branzzz wrote:how does one go about doing stocks and all?
First, you have to read up, and then read up, and finally read up. There are no short-cuts. Those who read a book and then jumped right in usually are the ones who provide the money for the rest!

Suggestion: Read the sticky threads in www.sgfunds.com

Any other queries you can PM me.

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

ariefm71 wrote:I hope you're not investing in Meade: http://www.meade.com/nasdaq/investor_pr ... frame.html
Is Meade public? I thought it is a priavte owned company?
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Public, NASDAQ:MEAD
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

1 ) melbourne shuffle (dance originating from aus ) 2) reading up about investments << to get rich. lols

when u buy a stock, u are owning a part of the company. $ can be potentially generated by (a) increase in share prices and (b) dividends paid out by the company as they have made a profit in that year.

stocks is more like whether one has done his/her homework by reading the financial reports and doing technical analysis ( using programmes to chart the best times to 'buy' and 'sell' stocks). buying on impulse or based on rumours is too dangerous ( aka speculation). ultimately, u're competing with other investors to buy at the lowest price and sell at the highest point.

some may see buying stocks a risk. alternatively, one can look into unit trusts and fixed deposits to generate $ over the years although the returns are lesser as there are lesser risks.

currently serving NS
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Tachyon wrote:
Past hobbies include:

7. Canine psychology

Canine psychology as a hobby? That's intriguing. Tell us a bit about your views on this?

I happen to hold the view that not only can many species of animals think, but many have highly complex intelligence and emotions, just like humans. Many scientists (not all of course) insist that animals cannot think and that they are only responding to stimuli. Totally incorrect in my view. Just live with a dog for a few years...