Bye Bye Dempsey Observation Site

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
river

Post by river »

amin7074 wrote:
where is this place?
our goverment exhumated all the graves...
Not sure how to do that, there must be some resident without a tomb stone and was miss out in the enbloc list. I am sure we will have better answer once they start digging the area for construction.

It's ok, they will not disturb you as long as you show some respect to the local resident by off your car light, using only red light, no laser pointer, keep noise level low and.... share your view...errr
hommel

Post by hommel »

I think the construction of the Bidadari new town won't be so soon, the last few graves were only exhumed in 2006. I have tried to walk up to the hillock alone and in the night, I never made it to the top as its so quiet and dark, and the fear is overpowering. At least I did catch a glimpse of the night sky and its not too bad, just need to find a suitable level spot to set up gear. Anyone?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

As far as I understand, although not officially sanctioned, the decision makers to take feng shui into account to meet potential developer's concerns/inclinations.
Under feng shui concepts, exhumed cemetaries should be alllowed to stand for 5 years to allow all the bad "qi" to dissipate before development can continue...

BTW, my defunctsecondary school used to be next to the cemetary and my old school field was once a lake where people have drowned but throughout my 4 years there, there were no stories from people during the day or overnight of unusual happenings which goes to show, if you do not offend, you need not fear being offended...just make sure when you are obbing onsite...don't take photos lest you scare yourself inadvertantly when additions appear in the images!

BTW, is this thread about dempsey or the ex-cemetary??
:lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

dempsey was in the news today...seems there is rent dispute and all the sub-retailers may have to move out. when that happens, I suspect dempsey may become off limits to outsiders or worse, be re-developed further to a bright and glaring entertainment hub...sigh
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
toolkit

Post by toolkit »

I drive pass this area every day on my way to work.
You guys are right as this former plot of land was
a cemetry. After the graves have been exhumed,
I used to mavel at the wild, unpruned trees growing
there.
Now that the NParks (most likely) have came to
prune the trees, it looks like any ordinary plants
growing in our gardens... Sometimes, being
too efficient IMO is not that good.
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

A cafe popped up at the dempsey ob site already. :(
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

yanyewkay wrote:A cafe popped up at the dempsey ob site already. :(
So it's not possible to ob from the old site anymore?

Maybe we should band up and open an 'Astro Cafe' when the lights are all red (maybe people will think we are red-light district.. heh) and all patrons bring their own scopes. :)

So if it's cloudy, our customers can sit for a cuppa, and once the skies clear, everyone will be at their scopes situated next to their tables.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

Tachyon wrote:
Maybe we should band up and open an 'Astro Cafe' when the lights are all red (maybe people will think we are red-light district.. heh) and all patrons bring their own scopes. :)
hehe this is a good one, maybe someone should label his/her starparty pic (filled with red lights) as "red light district party" :)

sorry for the off topics btw.
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

i think still possible to ob at dempsey if you're not all too fussy with fluorescent tubes. The cafe it opened right at the entrance to the site (right hand side) We can move further inside a little and the 2 buildings will block out the direct lights from the cafe.
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

update on dempsey, i went on monday about 9pm, the cafe was closed. However, there are some floor lights that shine UPWARDS for no reason and the light reaches the our usual ob area. They planted many trees around also..

There's 1 tree located exactly where andrew likes to set up, so Jupiter cannot be seen rising without moving out into the middle of the road.