Aluminum casing

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
johnteh

Aluminum casing

Post by johnteh »

Hi! I'm not sure if i were to custom make a aluminum casing for a 102m Vixen Scope, where can i find good and cheap price?
kayheem

Re: Aluminum casing

Post by kayheem »

johnteh wrote:Hi! I'm not sure if i were to custom make a aluminum casing for a 102m Vixen Scope, where can i find good and cheap price?
Hi John,

Take a look in the yellow pages or even the Commercial and Industrial Guide phone books under "Packing Materials" and others.

Kay Heem
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

johnteh wrote:Hi! I'm not sure if i were to custom make a aluminum casing for a 102m Vixen Scope, where can i find good and cheap price?
Purpose made aluminium case that looks decent will be difficult. There are alot of fitting shops out there that can make one that looks like galvanised iron case. You would be better off looking for a musical instrument bag like that for a trumpet or clarinet, then buy packing sponge foam to line it....

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
johnteh

Post by johnteh »

Airconvent wrote:
Purpose made aluminium case that looks decent will be difficult. There are alot of fitting shops out there that can make one that looks like galvanised iron case. You would be better off looking for a musical instrument bag like that for a trumpet or clarinet, then buy packing sponge foam to line it....

rich
Thanks, Rich.

Actually i have found people who custom make aluminum casing and i have seen the end product, it looks like Celestron or Meade casing.
It will cost around $400Sin, including the sponge and a handed is it very expensive??? And it is very light too.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Custom made stuff (especially hard cases) will never really be cheap since it's a one off job specially tailored for you so the guys are definately going to charge you well for it (I once asked a shop for a quote on making a small 20cm by 20cm aluminium mounting plate and they told me $120 per pc !! Diamond studded maybe...). And a hard case isn't really a must have - just a nice to have rather. IMHO, think $400 would be better spent on other accessories which will have more practical use.
Samuel Ng
johnteh

Post by johnteh »

A hard case is just to protect my investment, because so kids came into my house ( friends of my brother and sister ) touch the scope and lens..... I've check with that guy if more orders are coming in he will charge us cheaper.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

ok, then maybe $400+ is quite alright for a case of that size.

check out the prices here to have an idea of what 'professionally made' ones cost elsewhere : http://www.scopeguard.com (US$ !)
Samuel Ng
tommyong

Post by tommyong »

Hi John Teh,

I'm also looking for a case for quite some time now. Been looking high and low. Local and overseas...
The local one I looked is Land & Sea Technologies in Tuas. Very impressive fibreglass box, but cost $500 to $1,000 and above. Not economical at all.

So, do you mind posting the vendor/supplier that you're corresponding with so I can also enquire with them? Thanks a lot!

ToMmY
:oD

"A smile will bring you light years ahead."