Celestron G5 for sale

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
everythink

Celestron G5 for sale

Post by everythink »

Hello,

This scope is currently in Yahoo Auctions. Not very successful there so I'm trying it out here. Here are the details.

Optics type: Schmidt-Cassegrain. Primary aperture: 127mm. Focal length: 1,250mm. Focal ratio: f10. Eyepiece diameter: 25mm. Viewfinder: 6 x 30mm.
Motorized controls: RA Motor Drive. Mount: German equitorial mount- Adjustable aluminum tripod with accessory tray. Weight: 24 pounds. Extras: 10mm PLOSSL eyepiece and Moon Filter.

The scope was purchased in March 1999 and is seldom used. Still in good condition and is suitable for beginners. Does need to be collimated however. As far as fungus is concerned, I believe there isn't any. Email to everythink17@hotmail.com to view. You can find some pics here http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com ... cview=0x23

Selling as a full set only. My best offer is $750. Thank you.

Updated: A person from this forum has viewed this scope before and I'll just post his comments.

>Hi all,
>Went down to take a look at the G5, primary objective has slight signs >of fungus and the price isnt right. So its a no-deal.

I agree that there is a little speck on the primary lens. However, it has been there since the day I got it. Could it be fungi, it would have spread to other parts by now. I guess it's only best to view it personally.

Anyway,(just to share) it's amazing the kind of stories people would tell you just to get a scope from you. I've met all sorts of people calling me about the scope and asking for a lower price because eg. the officer's army pay isn't enough. Or the scope is too expensive for a nephew. And how about an amatuer looking for a new scope. I just found out he's no amatuer after I discovered this website. Singapore. I just love this place...
Last edited by everythink on Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Hi, your weight of 24 lbs is inclusive of the mount or just the OTA alone?
everythink

Post by everythink »

hello,

It's together with the mount. Tks.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Celestron G5 for sale

Post by Airconvent »

everythink wrote:Hello,
The scope was purchased in March 1999 and is seldom used. Still in good condition and is suitable for beginners. Does need to be collimated however. As far as fungus is concerned, I believe there isn't any. Email to everythink17@hotmail.com to view. You can find some pics here http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com ... cview=0x23

I agree that there is a little speck on the primary lens. However, it has been there since the day I got it. Could it be fungi, it would have spread to other parts by now. I guess it's only best to view it personally.

Anyway,(just to share) it's amazing the kind of stories people would tell you just to get a scope from you. I've met all sorts of people calling me about the scope and asking for a lower price because eg. the officer's army pay isn't enough. Or the scope is too expensive for a nephew. And how about an amatuer looking for a new scope. I just found out he's no amatuer after I discovered this website. Singapore. I just love this place...
Hi Everythink,
saw your auction......I seem to have made 2 offers for your OTA in the past few months but not successful as I did not want to buy the whole package...just the OTA.

Depending on its proliferation, fungus may not affect image quality but
to expect a buyer not to take that into consideration will not be realistic since it indicates that the storage conditions were not adequate. Whether it is fungus or not, the buyer usually assumes the worse and hope for the best!

I can't tell if $750 is a good or bad price to pay for the scope but you may want to take into consideration the buyer's concerns when clarifying with them.. At the end of the day, a sale is made once buyer's and seller's expectations meet.

Also, it would help your sale if you collimate the scope before selling it. This will allay any fears if the scope can ever be collimated or not scare away a newbie who does not know how to do it. I own 2 Maks but I can't collimate a hoot...

As for buyers' excuses..I'm surprised no one has told you he's a student , can't afford more than $100, so please sell him at that price? :-)
I get such offer all the time. My advice to them is; if you can't afford it, don't buy now...save for it and buy later.... else buy a lower end model..

cheers
rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
everythink

Post by everythink »

Hello Rich,

Many thanks for the advice. Well, I have problems collimating in the first place. I can perhaps learn to do that I guess.

O yes, I've had a 'student' interested in the scope since you reminded me. I believe the person is here in this club. Won't mention names though. It's not nice. We all make mistakes, unlike the perfect orchestral movement in the heavens. Thanks again.

Anyway what's your best price for the OTA?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

everythink wrote:Hello Rich,

Many thanks for the advice. Well, I have problems collimating in the first place. I can perhaps learn to do that I guess.

O yes, I've had a 'student' interested in the scope since you reminded me. I believe the person is here in this club. Won't mention names though. It's not nice. We all make mistakes, unlike the perfect orchestral movement in the heavens. Thanks again.

Anyway what's your best price for the OTA?
Hi,
As per what I offered previously but currently, I have shifted my focus on an 8" scope as you have read in this forum, so will not be looking out for any scope with smaller aperture.
Good luck on your sale anyway...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets