What's the huge star in the sky?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
hommel

What's the huge star in the sky?

Post by hommel »

weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Venus if seen in the west during evening at around 8pm... Or may be it is Jupiter if seen at the east at around 11pm.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Its probably taken with a camera-phone. For it to appear as something bigger than a pixel, I guess its a weather balloon :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Don't think it is a weather balloon, he mentioned that he saw it since 10 May and the article was posted yesterday. Likely what Weixing indicated, Venus or Jupiter. There is no reason if something new appears in the sky, no one Singastro notice it.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Venus la, what else.......
hommel

Post by hommel »

That's Venus i'm sure.

The writer either has shaky hands or one heck of a zoom hp camera. :)
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

It's Venus. The shape is caused by the camera phone that was used to take this picture. The exposure was slow enough to capture either the camera shake or the scintillation (atmospheric distortion) around Venus.

It's no surprise yet sadly intriguing that ordinary Singaporeans (and Stomp website editors) have no clue that we can see stars and beautiful Venus in Singapore. When we have clear evenings like we have been having, they are surprised by such sights.

Common misconceptions:
1. Satellite - because it is so bright and it doesn't move.
2. Supernova - because of recent reports and its brilliance.
3. UFO! - what else can it be? :)
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

If they are so amazed over such things, you guys should go stomp website and post up your pics on saturn, Jupiter, nebulas, etc.....

Maybe this is a good way to reach out to the masses.
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

chrisyeo wrote:It's Venus. The shape is caused by the camera phone that was used to take this picture. The exposure was slow enough to capture either the camera shake or the scintillation (atmospheric distortion) around Venus.

It's no surprise yet sadly intriguing that ordinary Singaporeans (and Stomp website editors) have no clue that we can see stars and beautiful Venus in Singapore. When we have clear evenings like we have been having, they are surprised by such sights.

Common misconceptions:
that''s very true about the misconceptions, i was thought from young that the bright thing in the sky is a satellite. Until I saw with my own eyes VENUS!

Then I went on to show my friends venus and jupiter to prove it isn't a satellite. Many were surprised, but some still remained sceptical and strongly believe we can never see planets with that tiny scope of mine.. :(

Oh well, i guess astronomy isn't for everyone.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

yanyewkay wrote:
chrisyeo wrote:It's Venus. The shape is caused by the camera phone that was used to take this picture. The exposure was slow enough to capture either the camera shake or the scintillation (atmospheric distortion) around Venus.

Common misconceptions:
that''s very true about the misconceptions, i was thought from young that the bright thing in the sky is a satellite. Until I saw with my own eyes VENUS!

Then I went on to show my friends venus and jupiter to prove it isn't a satellite. Many were surprised, but some still remained sceptical and strongly believe we can never see planets with that tiny scope of mine.. :(

Oh well, i guess astronomy isn't for everyone.
Last time when some of the party goers at dempsey saw orion nebula on my LCD screen, I can see their jaw dropped. I don't think they believe their eyes. Well....I think some of them were drunk anyway and were truly seeing "stars"