Advice on taking pics with DSLR

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
siahheng

Advice on taking pics with DSLR

Post by siahheng »

Hi all, I will be going up a mountain in France (6000 feet) in June and will be bringing my Canon 400D. I would like to ask the experts here on what settings are recommended for taking pictures of the milky way and the night sky with a DSLR.

Thank you.

Siah Heng
JY

Post by JY »

Where exactly in France are you going?
JY
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

I would highly recommend Kenko Skymemo as the portable tracking mount for you to take beautiful pics. Bit don't overexpose until the pixels saturate. Take short exposures (depends on focal length and sky conditions), then average stack (or median stack), then you can preserve the colours of the stars and milky way and get a smooth, not so noisy pic.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Some suggestion you can try:
You can try setting the Lens to around F4 as most Lens perform quite good at F4 or slower... can try faster than F4 if you use those 'L' lens. Shutter speed will depend on your tracking accuracy. If you can track accurately for 5 min or longer, you can try ISO 400 or ISO 800 if you can't track so long. Took at least 10 frames of same exposure time for each shot.

By the way, remember to take in RAW mode and took at least 15 dark frames at the same exposure time. IMHO, don't worry too much about saturation... it'll took quite some time before it'll overexpose at a light pollution free night sky using ISO 400 to ISO 800... unless there is a Moon in the sky. Also, I think the histogram on the Canon DSLR is not a linear histogram, but a logarithm histogram... at least my Canon 300D is... so as long as there is some space at the right-end, it won't overexpose.... you can always try a test shot and determine the exposure time you need.

Good luck and happy imaging.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Oops, hehe. The saturation I meant was, don't let too many stars saturate otherwise too many stars will appear white.
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

Thanks Meng Lee and Weixing. Will not have any tracking equipment for the camera. Just a tripod. Perhaps I can only shoot star trails.

FY - Its somewhere in the French Alps where there is a monastery (La Salette). This trip is organised by my church.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Depend on your lens focal length and which part of the sky you shoot, you may be able to get a decent exposure time without star trails. Basically, the nearer to the sky at the pole, the longer the exposure time you can expose before star trail appear on the image.

Anyway, for your case, you might want to use ISO 800 or even ISO 1600 to get as many stars as possible in that short exposure. You can use the below exposure time as a guide:
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=3800

Good luck and happy imaging.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

Thanks Weixing. Will try and post my attempts when I come back in mid June.

Cheers.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

weixing wrote:Hi,
remember to take in RAW mode and took at least 15 dark frames at the same exposure time.
Hi Weixing, may i know what's a dark frame? Thanks!
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

oh, by the way, make sure your tripod will be stable enough to withstand possible strong winds on the mountains.

A dark frame is an exposure equal in length as the light exposure and at the same temperature as the light exposure, so that the noise (mostly thermal) is recorded on the dark frame and will be used to subtract the noise from the light frame.

(I kaypoh and ans the question :oops: )