Singapore HDB Astronomy

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

no, not really i been insterested in astro in 10 years, and i really scount around my place, and i don't own a car, still Student.... so carry a scope that weight a ton is not the best thing to do yet.

And Still sorry about the typo error in "gay= :) guys"
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

WooO, Vincent~ How could you~! *coos*wink*wink* Will get a handful of your...err..scope, this coming Mersing trip!

Anyway, Kelvin come to think of it, im almost in the same state as you, no car, just graduated, and i think my setup weight as heavy or more than myself, but that doesnt put me off! Have stars, will travel! :D

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Singapore HDB Astronomy

Post by Airconvent »

Kelvin wrote:Hey ! I find astronomy in singapore very...wah lah.... and i live in a HDB flat (high rise) and i get a good view of the sky over the horzian.

Did you guys feel an uncomrtable about taking you scopes out to the field if any ?? or simply observe at home?? i live in Yishun and don't think these few days are much to see, stars only up to Mag 3 or 4. and living in a HDB don't really help much to see the big sky.
some people like CC who lives in a point block has 270 deg "FOV" so observing from the balcony is really great. for me, living in a low floor amongst a few blocks means using the window to check if the sky is clear only. When I can , I pop up to my multistorey car park for some zenith viewing but when there is a holiday that is aligned with clear skies, AND if CSN activated, I will go to dempsey.
SP is also a good place to go...

as for scopes, as long as you have a good backpack , carrying scope and equipment up to 5" aperture is not a problem...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

OK, anyway today saturn is at MAG1.9 and located in the Westen skies, i going to pop my 60mm spotting scope tonight, sunny day today, i guess clear skies,

My windows give me a FOV of 180 degree but on clear night you can really take a shot.

Have any you guy seen a galaxy thru a spotting scope, they look like a smug of cloud ! :D
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

is a big field the best place for some observations? anybody stays around east point? You know thr's a big field if u walk into the road that leads to simei green condo, the big field is right beside it.
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

A big field beside water will be the best :), water helps to stablise the enviroment.

By the way, that place you says is quite good, except the soil is pretty soft there :).
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I know that field.... I think it may be a good spot in the centre of the field, but as with all field, it is best that it didn't rain in a few days before your observation session. Or else the field will be very wet and humidity level will be very high...
A big field beside water will be the best , water helps to stablise the enviroment.
Anyway, I don't think this is true..... Because when you near water, may be a pond, it will be very windy(water normally take longer to cool down at night) normally and the windy will contain moisture. This may dew up your optics faster than normal.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: