Einstein's E=MC2 ....he made it up?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
hommel

Einstein's E=MC2 ....he made it up?

Post by hommel »

Most people think Einstein was a genius. Even though he did poorly in school, it is generally assumed that Einstein became a genius later on. It's also widely believed that he used superior intellect and complex mathematical reasoning to finally arrive at E=MC2....

Continue..
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hommel.. I think you need to add in a disclaimer.

The article was written not mainly about Einstein. It is true that he took 10 years to finally arrive at a "basically way too easy" formula of e=mc2. It is also true that on hindsight, reading how to derive the formula, is quite easy to understand. But it takes a genius to have such a paradigm shift in the first place to actually think of such an idea. A lot of science ideas are basically made up first, and tested later.

The part about Einstein in the article is quite unfair, but it was written to encourage people to think OUT of the box, not to let people mistake that Einstein isn't really as great as he was, even though the introduction showed otherwise...
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
vhuang168

Post by vhuang168 »

I'm sorry but I think that article is way off base. Regardless of how easy E=MC2 looks, the math behind it is quite complicated. He's assertion that you and I can wonder the same things as Einstein may be true, but can you and I think of a solution is another matter all together.

E=MC2 is not Einstein's only work. He has numerous other discoveries that display his exceptional mind to its fullest.

Dr. Mort Orman is an 'expert' on STRESS!! I think he is trying to encourage people that they are more then they think they are but this is wrong factually.

Vincent
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

May be he is thinking that Einstein met up with Star Trek team and they give him the idea. A few episodes of Star Trek, they return in time and teach the "genius" of the time how certain complex thing works.

No offence, I am an admirer of Einstein myself. Anyway, coffee talk right.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
“It's not that I'm so smart , it's just that I stay with problems longer .”
-- Albert Einstein

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

ooh weixing, he did say that? I didn't know.. let me add it to my stash of quotes. I know personally one about einstein that's kinda nice:

The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.
-- Albert Einstein

and another, which more or less sums up the article:

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
-- Albert Einstein
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Ok, I guess I should make some words, since I am a Physics student and an educator circle.

Actually what is most profound about einstein's discovery is that, gravity is not a force but its a curvature of spacetime.

E=mc2 is derived from Sepcial Relativity (1905) and the mathematics needed to derive that only needs up to quadratic equations. So a sec 2 student has the power to derive it. The physical sense is also quite easy to understand.

The theory for gravity is called General Relativity, (1915) and it is indeed difficult mathematically, requiring Modern Differential Geometry to work out details of black holes and expansion rate of universe.

Just a word about quotes, when we say "don't stop questioning", its good. But do note that, if you pose a scientific question and do not have the scientific or mathematical ability to set out to answer it, then forget it.

Einstein had the happiest thought in around 1905, but it took him 10years to work out General Relativity, because most of the years, he is learning the mathematics.

Admininstrators can delete this:

In Singapore, the system emphsizes creativity, but they all fail to see that, you need very strong background to be able to answer questions you posed. But the system cuts syllabus every year, which is ridiculous.

I once saw a sec 3 Shanghai Physics textbook talking about Special Relativity. I am astounded by our low education level.

Year by year, university students that I teach are getting worse and worse.

Sorry, just some thoughts.
geeksoo

Post by geeksoo »

Hmm.. Since this is in the coffee corner I shall side track abit too
I am astounded by our low education level.
Well for starters, I think its kinda unfair to generalise education standards based soely on a single topic. For all you know what they teach over there in SR is some number plugging into the lorentz transformation or memorised qualitative arguments.

In addition, not all students are gonna be phy/astro majors, they still need their time to study their math/eng/history etc. Furthermore, to be honest even for phy/astro majors, nus/ntu don't exactly attract top tier students. I mean you can't possibly expect undergrads to be studying Goldstein or Jackson the moment in uni, albeit some other elite unis doing so overseas.
the system emphsizes creativity
Well all i can say to this is don't count on that too. i personally find the singaporean education system very stifling to creativity.

Ok for something more on topic, you should probably read this book called "einstein the incorrigible plagarist". All sorts of conspiracy theory and stuff, about how einstein "cheated". quite worth a read
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

"imagination is more important than knowledge" (einstein)
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

geeksoo wrote: Well for starters, I think its kinda unfair to generalise education standards based soely on a single topic.
well said!
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!