Milky Way in Singapore

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Canopus Lim

Milky Way in Singapore

Post by Canopus Lim »

Last night, I was at East Coast near the end of the cycling track (where the 2 piers are). It was rather clear at the southern region and I could easily see the Milky Way that passes between Sagittarius and Scorpius. It was an obvious band and I could see different shades to it. The stars in Sagittarius, Scorpius, Centaurus, Lupus were all seen easily.

This is the first time I ever saw the Milky Way so clearly in Singapore. :D

How about you guys? Have you ever seen the Milky Way as a clear band in Singapore?
AstroDuck
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
How about you guys? Have you ever seen the Milky Way as a clear band in Singapore?
Yes... Saw it quite a number of times at Changi when we used to go there for observation. :D

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

saw it in Car Park G before at the twin jetties. Quite a sight. Last night was good!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

All my very old film milky way pictures are taken at Area G and area near Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal. These 2 places can see milky way quite well.
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

So.. Prime spots to view the Milky Way are mostly situated along beaches?.. Hmm.. Maybe you could compile a list of spots where the Milky Way is visible in Singapore?.. :)
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Essentially because at these beaches, the local pollution is not so serious and there is at least one direction where extensive pollution does not exist.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

So looks like the best place to see Milky Way is at Changi/ East Coast area...

It is good for viewing the East and South because of less light pollution. Towards the East because it is facing Desaru (not too much light pollution), and facing the south are Indonesian islands.

My best view of Singapore sky was near Changi Naval Base during December few years back. It was really very clear for Singapore standard.
AstroDuck
artificial

Time and Direction of Milky Way

Post by artificial »

Hi.. i am going to Desaru soon.. may i know what time and direction would i see the milky way over there??