Reviving a dead(?) 12V Power Station

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
orion
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar Evo 925

Reviving a dead(?) 12V Power Station

Post by orion »

Hi, I bought a 12V DC "PowerStation" some time back. It is a rechagable battery back - used it to power my goto scope.

Right now the battery does not seem to store any charge (or rather have very low charge and get used up very quickly) no matter how long I charge it.

What could be wrong? Any tips on how to revive it?
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

quite typical of SLA batteries to die after being kept at a low charge for prolong period. a process called sulfutation occurs whereby crystal will form on the plates. u can attempt charging it, remove for 24hr, then charge it again and see if there's any improvement.

if indeed the battery is dead, u can always get a new 7ah 12v sla battery for roughly 24-26 sgd. do check which version ur powerstation use. some use the 17ah battery instead, which cost a little more.

~MooEy~
orion
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar Evo 925

Post by orion »

Thanks for the feedback. Will give it a try.

BTW can we replace the batteries inside the Power Station by ourselves? Never taken one aprart before. Has any one tried it?
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Hi,

I have replaced such a gel lead acid powertank before. When you open up, make sure don't lose the screws and there are wires between the 2 plastic shell. So don't pry too hard. At the battery side, you just need to unplug the 2 leads from the old battery, and plug them in the new one and drop the new battery into the plastic shell and its done.