Hello Everyone

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
leechriz

Hello Everyone

Post by leechriz »

Hello Everyone,

I was looking for a community of astro enthusiasts in Singapore and happened to stumble into this wonderful forum.

I'm newbie and really got excited after visiting the Science Centre recently and catching a glimpse of Saturn and its rings.

I'm really interested to get my first telescope but there seems to be so many choices out there in the market and I really have no experience in this area.

Hope that I can participate in one of the observation nights that you might organize.

By the way, I live in CCK. Hope to meet up and get to know some of you in the forum.

Cheers
Chris
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Welcome! I suggest you get yourself a binoculars and get familiar with the sky before getting a telescope. (: There are so many variety of telescopes out there. It depends on your budget, portability and what you wanna see in the sky. Good luck! ^^,
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

welcome to singastro!
Do check out our faq section where we have loaded lots of useful reference material for a newbie! [smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!! :D

Don't hurry into buying a telescope... understand what you want and do your research first or you might end up buying a telescope that become an expensive dust collector.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
leechriz

Post by leechriz »

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll spend sometime to find out from this forum what to look for in a telescope and hope to find out more from the stargazing events that you organize.
zamri

Post by zamri »

Hi, just my 2 cents.
Get a star map or chart, spent sometimes look out through your window or best balcony during night time, try to identify some of the constellation. That the best start and the cheapest way without spending ur money. Last few nights the sky is very except for last nite. Star chart you can print out from Star and Telescope website.

Good Luck!!!
leechriz

Post by leechriz »

I'm actually quite keen on the idea of getting a bino and perhaps a tripod. What would you recommend for a beginner? Budget is not really a constraint.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

http://www.astronomics.com/main/product ... t_id/T2003

budget not constraint? buy this then. i'm ordering some stuff, wan tag along with me?

~MooEy~
leechriz

Post by leechriz »

Woah, that would take me 10 lifetimes to save. I'm actually thinking of a bino and wouldn't expect a price in "astronomical" figures. Maybe something within $300-$500?
JoeyGalaxy

Post by JoeyGalaxy »

Hi! [smilie=hi.gif]
Joey
On a red dot looking into the galaxy