Computer based shutter control for older DSLR models

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
swat_pup6433

Computer based shutter control for older DSLR models

Post by swat_pup6433 »

hi,
would like to check with anyone who is using an older version of DSLR for astrophotography using computer software to control its image capturing process. I understand that an older DSLR model like my EOS 10D does not have USB support for exposure duration over 30seconds. thus a serial to N3/jack type cable would be needed to perform that task via the bulb exposure port of the camera?
  thus i would like to know if anyone has such a cable and know of where i can get hold of one of these in singapore??

regards
zongye.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

DSLR Focus

Post by kochu »

Hi Zongeye,

You will need Chris Venters DSLR Focus.

Incidentally the second link which shows Beskeen's site describing how to make a serial or parallel cable also contains our Mathew Chang's excellent schematics . Even I could makea cable based on Matthew's circuit diagram , many years back.

If you manage to make the cable I can give you Chris Venter's program FOC, as I am using Images Plus now which also can control older DSLRs.

http://astrosurf.com/letelescope/images ... Manual.pdf

http://www.beskeen.com/projects/dslr_se ... rial.shtml

Kochumadhavan/3-8-10
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

I made and used these cables last time. I hooked it up to my old laptop via serial port. However, since I don't have that laptop anymore and new laptop don't have serial port, I stop using it.

A slightly more expensive way, but not need to use laptop is to get remote switch such as phottix tr-90. Here it is about RM150. It connect straight to your camera using the jack type connector. You can control almost anything; delay, duration, interval between shot and number of shots.

With this and stand alone autoguider, you don't need a laptop at all to do astrophotography.
swat_pup6433

Post by swat_pup6433 »

ohh i have the remote timmer ~ was just thinking of having everything controlled by the lappy since i will be doing autoguiding using it.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Hi swat pup6433

I don't use a canon but if your looking for a remote release this may interest you.

http://www.brilliant.com.sg/detail.aspx?id=148

It's a local company selling cheaper alternatives for photographers (wish they had this long ago!!),...and reasonably priced. Products are Made in China but have tried many and they work and last! I bought a wireless remote shutter for my Fuji S3 that cost only SG$26.
The shutter remotes allow bulb and come with different connections for Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji, etc. The sales guy was helpful and you pay by bank transfer. They mail it to you no extra charge! If I'm not mistaken the higher end wireless cost less than $35....sorry can't recall as I didn't need the extra functions and went with the middle range remote.

I considered using my Lappy too but can't find my Fuji Hypershot software...grrr! No Free downloads gotta buy...sheesh! So reverted to wireless and a good stopwatch timer...lol!

Some of the DSLR software available need the actual camera's control software to run in the background. But alot of them support Canon camera's without the capture software needed. Have not tried any as I'm more used to prime and the remote and timer watch. Since I shoot RAW...and process later it works for me. Also allows me to CCD drift align for 1 to 2 mins at Bulb setting.

Hope that helps!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!