Baader MaxBright binoviewers

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

croys wrote:Can anyone explain what a "matched pair" of eyepieces is, and why it is necessary or even desirable?
Hi Stuart,

Nice review..

What i understand is that matched pair eyepieces is ( the same eyepiece from the same manufacturer ). I think this is not a case of like "Matched dual pair rams for dual channel ddr2" thingy where slight dimm timings difference means computer may hang ... I think beam splitting and merging of image is more important. If you already got a sharp contrast image, you got a nice setup.

i think the internal reflections are not normal... there were some cloudynight discussion about internal flares of some binoviewers which the person said he got it replaced 2 times... i am still searching for that thread ... i think binoviewers are meant for fast scts etc...Long focal length scope, low power easy eyepieces . Try it on the mewlon, you will be happy.
Last edited by wucheeyiun on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leechriz

Post by leechriz »

Thanks for bringing the question of matching pair of eyepieces up for discussion. I've a couple of XLs and I'm in a dilemma whether to get another for a mixed pair or shell out more cash for a brand new matched pair.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

Matched ram is just marketing. I don't see why buying 4 sticks of ram off the same production batch would cause any problem. HP/DELL/IBM don't sell you 16 sticks of perfectly matched ram for their servers, i don't see why u would need matched ram in a desktop. However if the price is right, go ahead and buy those dual channel ram kits.

Matched eyepiece is however another story. I would believe that similar eyepieces might have very slight diff in focal lengths. If the manufacturer is willing to test and gurantee matched eyepieces for a slight premium, i don't see why not.

At the minimum i would try to stick to eyepiece off the same production batch, ie, buy the 2 eyepiece together at the same time instead of getting one new and one off astromart. one might just happen to be 7.06mm while the other is maybe 6.97mm. Would it matter? Prolly not, then again when i'm paying gd money, i don't want any compromise.

~MooEy~