Most Amazing sight!

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

rlow wrote:Nice! In the last few decades of observing, I had seen satellites, plane and even a distant bird transit across a planet while observing. Another interesting effect is when you observe a meteor shooting directly at your line-of-sight. I have seen that naked eye, through binoculars and through a telescope several times, it can be quite stunning!
Yeah I have seen once a meteor in line of sight through a binoculars. It was pretty cool. :)
AstroDuck
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

Gosh that must have been an incredible sight! I used to see ISS grazing Jupiter at high mag a few years ago, however, ISS was in a distance and poorly lit, not much details...
Clear skies please...
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

rlow wrote:Nice! In the last few decades of observing, I had seen satellites, plane and even a distant bird transit across a planet while observing. Another interesting effect is when you observe a meteor shooting directly at your line-of-sight. I have seen that naked eye, through binoculars and through a telescope several times, it can be quite stunning!
@rlow
You were at the right place at the right time!! True Astronomer who spends time with his hobby! Must have been a sight to behold!!

Only sight was the ISS passing by one evening with the naked eye. Best I've seen thus far apart from small dots running around the EP FOV like ants...lol
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

@Canopus: Thanks for sharing such a great sighting! Something for us to look forward to. My best lucky view so far is a satellite drifting past NGC 6231 while testing a rich field telescope on 13 April. No details can be seen though but it is an amazing seeing one for the very first time through the eyepiece - a dot of white light moving along NGC 6231 for a couple of seconds.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Gary wrote:@Canopus: Thanks for sharing such a great sighting! Something for us to look forward to. My best lucky view so far is a satellite drifting past NGC 6231 while testing a rich field telescope on 13 April. No details can be seen though but it is an amazing seeing one for the very first time through the eyepiece - a dot of white light moving along NGC 6231 for a couple of seconds.
Yup it has always appeared as a dot.. even at 200+ magnification and in this case 400+ magnification (before the retro reflection). What I saw this time round was truly different and very unexpected!
AstroDuck