LXD75 good/bad reviews?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
orly_andico

LXD75 good/bad reviews?

Post by orly_andico »

I have a line on an LXD75 really cheap.. as many of you have seen, I'm currently using a Vixen GP with fabricated mounts, driven by a Meade 497 Autostar. It is not terribly reliable (although I've finished another rebuild just today).

A lot of folks say the LXD75 can carry substantially more weight than the CG-5 or Vixen GP. Anyone here using it? I will be putting the C9.25 (22lb) on it.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

From what I have read, the LXD75 does carry more, about 13kg which is approx 0.5kg more than the CG-5. Well thats always on paper...lol! It has a great GOTO system and beefy legs.

Only bad thing about it from what I read mostly is the RA gears which has some meshing issues that cause bad tracking. However it needs some fixing which is easy. But most users have done the tweaks and the mount works well! Just not right outta the box though. It is cheap for the capacity that it can hold.

I don't own one nor tried it but it's what I gathered from the resources on the web and the July issue of Sky at Night! Thought of getting one but withdrew as I needed more payload...lol! Anyway my Balcony planter box pier is slowly moving on!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
heyjojos

Post by heyjojos »

Read your post on the fixing of the RA gears. I'm looking at a LXD75 and am concerned when I read about the meshing issues.

You mentioned it can be fixed easily. Is it something you can do yourself or you need to go to a vendor in Singapore to get it fix?

Appreciate your reply. Thks.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

i used to have a c8 and my lxd75 carried it no problem. tracking was good even in that long focal length - every other scopes i owned are fast lenses. it won't really be good enough for long exposure photography on that magnifications without autotracking. the c9.25 also seems quite a bit heavier than a c8, so i don't know how it'll perform with that. the mount is fairly easy to take a part and put back together again if you want to twik it. i still have a lxd75.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

This is a zombie thread. I ended up getting a CGEM. Which is a whole lot heavier than a GP, unfortunately..
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

For a while I was wondering why you wanted an LXD75 after getting your CGEM. :)
DON'T PANIC
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

i've a bigger mount but i'm keeping the lxd75 for mobility - outings, school/public events, etc.